You are reading

Hunters Point South Park to be closed for July 4th fireworks, public viewing at Gantry

Macy’s Fireworks over the East River on July 4, 2014 (Diana Robinson/ Mayoral Photography Office)

May 22, 2015 By Christian Murray

The public will not be able to view the 4th of July fireworks from Hunters Point South Park and will have to go to Gantry Plaza State Park to watch them, according to the Parks Department.

Hunters Point South Park is expected to be used as a staging area by Macy’s and it will also be where NBC is stationed to shoot the show. The park will be cordoned off.

“Hunters Point South will be closed on the Fourth of July to facilitate operations for the fireworks show,” the Parks Department said in a statement, adding that Gantry Plaza State Park and areas east and north of Hunters point will be open for viewing.

email the author: [email protected]

8 Comments

Click for Comments 
Mel

Omg really, why make hunters point south a command center when 50,000 people and more are expected! Duh dimbass decision! Wait so that means that those restrooms are off limits as well! I’m so glad I won’t be there!?

Reply
ummm

Why wouldnt they film from Roosevelt Island so that the residents of LIC could enjoy the show?

Very glad we will actually be able to see it this year, vs last year when it was really for bklyn

Reply
what?

yup, not being able to drink in someone else’s backyard is right up there with overcrowded schools, no library, bad transportation, and no doubt problems in the Middle East. You backyarders are a joke.

Reply
SC

Can I drink on your stoop? You seem like a nice guy.

It’s about businesses not being able to operate the way they want to operate and generate the kind of revenue that they wish to generate simply because a handful of cranky pants are upset that a neighborhood that has always been changing for the history of NYC has once again changed.

Reply
LICer

While I am not a fan of this decision, either, my guess is that Macy’s and NBC would be nowhere near LIC’s waterfront had they not been granted permission to use HPS Park as their home base. Again, just a guess, but I imagine that, when negotiating with NYC about moving the fireworks from Hudson to East River, Macy’s and NBC insisted on having a prime location. With the Empire and Chrysler and midtown as a backdrop, and the clean, pristine state of the newly finished park, HPS Park is about as good as it gets. All that being said, as a Central Blvd resident, I am all too weary about the condition of our neighborhood come the morning of July 5th…

Reply
LIC_Dude

Not a fan of this decision! First we get a new park and the fireworks come back and then they won’t let us use the new park to view the fireworks?!? Makes no sense.

Or about as much sense as the 7 train schedule, a library that takes almost 2 decades to build, overcrowded schools and bars/restaurants that can’t use their backyard space.

LIC really has the worst community board and useless local politicians!!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.