You are reading

De Blasio Says New Yorkers Should Prepare for Possible Shelter-In-Place Order

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Commissioner of NYC Department of Health Oxiris Barbot at a press briefing on the coronavirus pandemic at City Hall last week

March 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio said New Yorkers should prepare for a possible “shelter-in-place” order as the number of coronavirus cases in New York City jumped more than 75 percent in one day.

Across the five boroughs, there are now 814 positive cases of COVID-19 — up from 463 confirmed yesterday.

Queens has 248 cases, Manhattan has 277, Brooklyn has 157, the Bronx has 96 and Staten Island has 36. New York City’s deaths related to COVID-19 remains at seven.

With such a steep rise in the number of positive cases, de Blasio said a shelter-in-place order is on the table.

“We’re certainly going to have thousands of cases next week,” Mayor de Blasio said.

De Blasio said the decision on whether to issue an order should be made in the next 48 hours and he will work with the state to make that decision.

“I think New Yorkers should be prepared, right now, for the possibility of a shelter-in-place order,” de Blasio told reporters at a press conference today. “It has not happened yet, but it is definitely a possibility at this point.”

Such a measure would be unprecedented in New York City.

“We have never been here before. I have never heard of anything like this in the history of New York City,” de Blasio said.

He said if an order is enacted, the City would have to create it from scratch, but it could look similar to the order in California’s Bay Area which requires people to stay home except for essential activities.

However, at an earlier press conference today, Governor Andrew Cuomo said that no locality could issue a shelter-in-place or quarantine order alone.

“No locality in this state can take an action without state approval,” Cuomo said this morning. For example, “if Albany city said quarantine in place, I wouldn’t allow it.”

“Whatever we do is going to be statewide, thought through, comprehensive,” he said. “Nobody’s going to be quarantined. If there are any additional actions, the likely additional actions would be on the business side first.”

Following, de Blasio’s comments, the Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa reiterated Cuomo’s point.

“Any blanket quarantine or shelter in place policy would require State action and as the Governor has said, there is no consideration of that for any locality at this time,” DeRosa said.

The mayor also said the City is launching a campaign to recruit more health care workers in what is similar to a “wartime mobilization” effort.

The message of the campaign is simple, de Blasio said.

“If you are a healthcare worker or have any appropriate training, we need you,” he said.

He said the City would mobilize the about 9,000 licensed and retired healthcare workers registered in the Medical Reserve Corps and is asking more to sign up for it.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.