You are reading

Crane Collapse in LIC

Jan. 9, 2013 By Bill Parry

A 380-foot crane collapsed at a construction site at Center Blvd and 46th St. at 2:20 on Wednesday afternoon. Seven construction workers were hospitalized, three have serious injuries.

Russell Robertson, a 32 year old laborer for Cornerstone and Cross Country Construction was among those that escaped injury. “We heard a lot of snapping sounds, then a whole lot of screeching and squealing,” Robertson said, “then it came down at 40-50 miles an hour.”

Robertson estimated 70 workers were on the site at the time of the incident. “We were calling out and looking for hard hats to help,” he said, “it was truly terrifying.” Robertson saw at least three workers pinned underneath, hit by the metal.

FDNY Deputy Chief Mark Ferran said, “No civilians were hurt and all workers are accounted for. Seven injured workers were taken to area hospitals.” The Chief reported that none of the injuries were life threatening. The sight was secure and engineers from the Buildings Department had begun an investigation.

The seven workers who were hospitalized were all carpenters. Union Representative Ken Blohm said, “Considering what could have been I guess you could say that this is a miracle that nobody got killed.”

The NYPD was interviewing the operator. The crane belongs to New York Crane. The owner, James Lomma was charged with criminally negligent homicide following the deaths of 2 workers in a similar collapse on the Upper East Side in 2008. Lomma was later acquitted.

Crane safety will come under much greater scrutiny especially in Long Island City where many skyscrapers are under construction. Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer  surveyed the scene and said, “We need to make sure these cranes are safe. Look at the model of the project.”

The model was on display in the lobby of 47-20 Center Blvd. ”What if the crane collapsed 30 or 40 stories high and crashed into another of these skyscrapers?” Van Bramer added, “Now that would be catastrophic.”

(Source: Patrick Donagher/Twitter)

(Source: Patrick Donagher/Twitter)

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
....

read the article?

“The police said that several people sustained minor injuries. However, the police said that there had been no fatalities.”

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.