You are reading

12 weekends of No. 7 train service cuts through May, Nine to impact LIC

weekendoutages

Dec. 17, 2014 By Christian Murray

Get ready for the latest round of No. 7 train weekend service cuts.

The MTA released its schedule for the first five months of 2015 and the No. 7 train will be out of service between Times Square and Queensboro Plaza for nine weekends.

In addition, there will be weekend service cuts between Willets Point and Flushing-Main Street on three other weekends.

The first weekend of the Times Square/Queensboro Plaza cuts is scheduled to take place January 17-19, which will be the first of four weekends in a row that it will be down.

The MTA says that the cuts are in order for it to install a new Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) signal system; replace elevated tracks; and for the reconstruction and fortification of the Steinway Tubes (which connects Queens to Manhattan).

The MTA, which is a state-run agency, claims that majority of this work has been scheduled over weekends when ridership is lower than normal.

However, Long Island City businesses and cultural groups did not get to weigh in on when those cuts would be and received little notice about the dates.

“The MTA still isn’t engaging the community or responding to the community in a meaningful way,” said Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer, who has been in talks with the agency. “I am very disappointed.”

Van Bramer said that it was unacceptable that the MTA would close service for several weekends in a row in January and February—during the coldest month of the year.

He said that residents might be a little more forgiving about the closures if they had seen improved No. 7 train service as promised. However, “the truth is that over the past few months No. 7 train regular service has been poor and there have been lots of delays.”

He said that on December 11 the delays were so bad that the overcrowded subway platforms put commuters at risk.

 

email the author: [email protected]

11 Comments

Click for Comments 
NO WAY!

Finally. This line has been running without a hitch for as long as i could remember. I was wondering if there would even be any maintenance performed on it. Thankfully, everyone in New York works M-F, 9-5 so no people or businesses will be impacted by this shutdown. Looking forward to the fare hikes, keep up the great work!

Reply
LIC Res

I’m glad the MTA is investing time and resources improving our line, even if it’s unpopular in the short term.

Besides, we are so fortunate to have numerous backups: E,M, G to L, 7 to Q/N.

Other neighborhood would kill to have our transportation options.

Reply
anon

Are you some kind of a nut? They have been upgrading these same signals since the late 80s. If somebody is not getting kickbacks from this never-ending
job, then they must be true idiots.

Reply
Licfan

This is really ridiculous, all these years of stoppages for so called improvements and the train is more crowded, runs slower, and it’s got to be the bumpiest ride in the MTA. WTF is that extension to the Javits? Why not a less expensive ferry and bus service?

Reply
Anon

The trains are more crowded because of all the people moving into the area, but let’s keep bringing them in and building more developments!!!!! It could only get better, amirite?

Reply
LICer

Everyone need to write to state congressmen and look for help before all die in the cold winter waiting for buses!

Reply
Groundhog Day

This article could have been posted last year, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 … you get the picture. I’m still waiting to find out (1) exactly how much more work the MTA needs to do and (2) the date when all of that work is going to be finished. Every other person, department, agency or company I’m aware of has these things called a “project schedule” and a “deadline.” What is so vexing about fixing some tracks or stringing up wires that is so exotic that it takes years and years longer to complete than sending rovers up to Mars?

Reply
Amadeo Plaza

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY. This “improvement” project seems like a never-ending ordeal. They say it’ll provide us with improved service, but with no end in sight, and little communication to suggest otherwise, I don’t see how it will ultimately help. Maintenance is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.

Reply
Groundhog Day

The MTA is Linus van Pelt, and the rest of us chumps are Charlie Brown and Lucy, waiting overnight in the freezing pumpkin patch for the magical moment the Great Pumpkin brings us our goddamn fixed No. 7 train.

Reply
Rob

The MTA promised to provide documentation at last winter’s community meeting on why direct bus service from LIC to Grand Central would not be quicker and would not provide relief for residents relying on the #7 line. Councilman Van Bramer’s office had the funds to pay for this service. Has anyone seen the documentation? Will the MTA provide portable heaters for freezing residents waiting for the shuttle bus?

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.