You are reading

Mayor and His Staff to Take One Week Unpaid Leave to Tackle Budget Crisis

Mayor Bill de Blasio holds at a press briefing at City Hall Wednesday (Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

Sept. 16, 2020 By Michael Dorgan 

Mayor Bill de Blasio and his entire office staff will take one week of unpaid leave in order to help tackle the city’s fiscal crisis amid the coronavirus shutdown.

The mayor said that the mandatory furloughs – which will affect nearly 500 employees – will save the city nearly $1 million.

The city is estimated to lose around $9 billion in tax revenue because of the coronavirus shutdown and the furloughs will apply to everyone in the mayor’s administration including the office of his wife Chirlane McCray. De Blasio said he will work without pay during his time off.

“This is a painful step, but it shows just how committed we are to responsible budgeting and leading the city through these challenging times,” de Blasio said at a press briefing Wednesday.

“It was not a decision I made lightly,” he added. “It is the right thing to do at this moment in history.”

Employees will have to take a week of unpaid leave during a six-month period beginning in October, de Blasio said, as he tries to balance the city’s books.

The mayor has pleaded for a bailout from the federal government to help the city get through the crisis but without success. He has a strained relationship with President Donald Trump.

De Blasio is also trying to get the state to give it the authority to borrow money to cover the shortfall.

The mayor has warned that he may lay off 22,000 municipal employees if the city doesn’t get either federal assistance or the state doesn’t give him emergency authority to borrow $5 billion to pay for operating expenses.

“We need our partners in the state government to give New York City long term borrowing authority,” de Blasio said.

“We have to keep making tough choices to move the city forward, to keep our budget balanced,” he said.

email the author: [email protected]

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
Chris Pederson

I think it is smart for mayors to ask the federal government to help bail them out. Cities should not suffer because their mayor made a bad decision. Those people don’t deserve that.

Reply
ASensibleMan

I have a better idea. Why don’t the Mayor and his staff quit forever? They are abject and total failures in every way. We could randomly select people off the street and they’d do a better job.

5085
1
Reply
somedude

hizzoner has a reported net worth of between 1.5-2.5MM depending on source.

he also has rental properties bringing in a combined annual income of 100k+ on top of his 250k+/yr salary (he approved giving himself a raise). windbag could afford to give back the rest of the year, and let his staffers who earn substantially less than he does keep their lives afloat.

this is virtue signaling at its worst. dude is major basura.

Reply
FromLICQueens

This is impactful, resolution focused management, aiming to fully tackle the present, Jupited sized budget crater, and achieve a decisive, effective resolution. Naaahhh! It’s PR BS.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Maspeth man faces life in prison for 2020 fatal stabbing in Dutch Kills: DA

A Maspeth man who was caught by transit cops vaping inside a Brooklyn subway station in January is facing as much as 75 years to life in prison for stabbing a Dutch Kills man to death four years ago.

Luis Hernandez, 36, of 56th Street, was arraigned Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court on a seven-count indictment charging him with murder, gang assault and other crimes in the fatal stabbing of a 21-year-old man and the attempted murder of two others in Astoria in 2020.