You are reading

Chocolate Factory raises $115K from Taste of LIC

Taste of LIC 00June 5, 2014 By Christian Murray

The weather may have put a damper on the Taste of LIC Tuesday night but it didn’t stop residents from turning out in big numbers or the corporate sponsors from opening up their checkbooks.

The Chocolate Factory, which puts on the event each year as a fundraiser, grossed $115,000 on the night, equaling last year’s record. While the 50-plus restaurants donated their food and time, the theater still has to cover the hefty costs of renting the giant tent and getting the waterfront space.

The Chocolate Factory sold 1,200 tickets—although it was difficult to tell whether all the ticket holders attended. Unlike the 2013 event, when there were blue skies and it was 73 degrees, this year it was wet and humid.

“The event is as great as always,” said Doris Nowillo Suda, a long time resident who used to work at Riverview. “I think there aren’t as many people here as last year. It’s tough with this weather.”

Nevertheless, the event continued to showcase Long Island City as a booming neighborhood filled with youth, vibrance and growth.

Many residents were impressed by the quality and diversity of the food this year—from scotch eggs at Woodbines to oysters at M.Wells.

Sheila Lewandowski, the executive director of the Chocolate Factory, was dressed as Wonder Woman, and was the subject of plenty of praise by elected officials.

Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer, one of a slew of elected officials who spoke at the event, said “Long Island City is one of the greatest places in all the world partly due to the great work of Sheila Lewandowski, Brian Rogers [Lewandowski’s husband] and the Chocolate Factory.”

The proceeds from the event will go toward The Chocolate Factory’s 2014-15 season.

[slideshow_deploy id=’8368′]

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.