You are reading

50 restaurants to take over the waterfront– for Taste of LIC

Source: Sara Luckey

Source: Sara Luckey

May 28, 2014 By Christian Murray

More than 1,400 visitors are expected to fill Gantry Plaza State Park next Tuesday looking to feast on cuisine provided by more than 50 local restaurants.

The 9th Annual Taste of LIC will kick off at 5:30 pm June 3 and all the major local restaurants—from the trendy to the upscale– will be participating. Popular restaurants will include Alobar, M. Wells to the traditional Italian establishment Testaccio Ristorante.

The event is being organized by The Chocolate Factory, a non-profit theater company, which founded Taste of LIC in 2005. In its first year, the event drew 12 restaurants and about 200 people. It was held at the theater, located at 5-49 49th Avenue, at the time.

Sheila Lewandowski, the executive director of the Chocolate Factory, who runs the theater with her husband, Brian Rogers, said: “Neither of us come from great [wealth] so we started the event as a fundraiser when we first got our own space [on 49th Avenue],” she said.

However, the event grew quickly and it became a neighborhood hit. In 2008, Rockrose offered to host it on its rooftop at the East Coast Tower on Center Blvd.

“They[Rockrose] took a chance on us and that was a major transition for us,” Lewandowski said.

This year’s food festival will be held at Gantry Plaza State Park for the sixth successive year. Lewandowski said that the Sunnyside Woodside Girl Scouts will be performing and that the girl scouts have been working with the theater’s choreographers on their act.

The Chocolate Factory’s Taste of LIC T-Shirt, which is a popular keepsake, will feature a tag-line this year that reads: “What’s not to LIC?”

The theater held a competition earlier this year to see who could come up with the best tag line. The winner, Steve Sewell, received two free VIP tickets to Tuesday’s event for his efforts.

The theater has held a competition for the best tagline for the past five years. Previous winners came up with lines that included: ChocohoLIC , LICense to Eat, DeLICious and LIC Your Plate Clean.

The proceeds from Tuesday’s event will go toward The Chocolate Factory’s 2014-15 season.

Several Long Island City businesses will also be raffling items and holding an auction to raise money at the event.

Tickets, which range from $60-$400, can be purchased at chocolatefactorytheater.org

Tickets, depending on availability, will also be sold on the day.

For further details, please click here.

 

Popular food item at last year's Taste

Popular selection at last year’s Taste

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
anonymous

Let us not forget this is the same person who got the gyro guy kicked off of Vernon Blvd.
I don’t think we should support this one bit, she doesn’t want someone selling food down the block from her apartment, I don’t want her to shutdown a state park so she could make money.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.