You are reading

Sparked by pink sculpture controversy, city council passes bill that aims to include the public in Public Art

Early rendering

Early rendering

May 17, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge

The city council unanimously passed a bill Thursday that will provide residents with more say before certain pieces of public art are installed.

The bill was introduced by Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer earlier this year just months after it was revealed that an 8 ½ foot tall, bright pink sculpture—called the Sunbather—was planned to be permanently placed on the median at Jackson and 43rd Avenues.

At the time, the community board and residents were blindsided that the $515,000 artwork was coming, leading to a great deal of rancor–particularly over its color. Many referred to the artwork as the “pink panther” or “pink bubble gum.”

The artwork is still in the design phase and still remains on track to being installed at the Jackson Ave./43rd Ave location.

Van Bramer’s bill, if signed into law by Mayor Bill de Blasio, would amend the Department of Cultural Affairs’ Percent for Art Program, which was borne out of a 1982 law that requires that one percent of the budget for city-funded construction projects be spent on artwork.

The new bill requires the Department of Cultural affairs to notify the public via its website of its intention to install a piece of public art as part of the Percent for Art program.

The initial stages of the selection process remain unchanged–where a panel of citywide and local art experts accompanied by various agency representatives choose from a list of artists.

However, a subsequent public meeting is now required allowing residents to speak with the panel’s recommended artists about their concepts, according to a spokesman for Van Bramer’s office. DCLA representatives will attend the meetings to take notes.

The bill also requires advance notification of these meetings, including online postings.

Councilman Van Bramer

Councilman Van Bramer

“My bill aims to enhance the Percent for Art program by giving New Yorkers the ability to have a greater role in selecting public art projects,” Van Bramer said in a statement.

“The arts have played a tremendous role in shaping New York City. With the passage of this bill and mandating public hearings on Percent for Art projects, we will solidify our city’s presence as the cultural mecca of the world.”

At a Cultural Town Hall held with Van Bramer at MoMA PS1 in March, Department of Cultural Affairs Commissioner Tom Finkelpearl contemplated the difficulty of identifying the “right amount of [public] input,” and striking a balance between an artist’s vision and community consensus.

In a statement released on Friday, however, he spoke confidently about partnership between residents and artists.

“When I was director of [Percent for Art] in the 1990s, I saw the incredible value that close collaboration with residents and stakeholders brings to this process,” Finkelpearl said.

####

LIC Post broke the story with the following:

Big Pink Sculpture likely to go up on Jackson Ave., while LIC residents kept in the dark

 

 

 

email the author: [email protected]

4 Comments

Click for Comments 
Art

Last time I check the piece of “protest art” sitting right outside Ct Sq Diner is still there. I think it’s been a year!

Reply
new lic resident

JVB needs to find a way to get this thing canceled and get our taxpayer money back. Use it for anything else, really.

Reply
We're Losing the War on Stupid

My question is why is that grotesquely expensive thing still being considered? It boggles the mind that we can throw away such a large amount of money to soothe a few people’s vanity and egos.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.