You are reading

Queens state officials craft legislation to push back against Trump

Mike Gianaris

Jan. 30, 2017 By Hannah Wulkan

Several local politicians have plans to propose legislation to fight back against some of President Donald Trump’s executive orders on immigration.

Assembly Member Nily Rozic, who represents parts of Kew Gardens Hills, Fresh Meadows and Bayside, has plans to introduce legislation in Albany this week that would prohibit the state from entering in to any contracts with companies working on Trump’s Mexican border wall, which he ordered to be built last week.

The legislation would require that the state keep a list of all companies involved with the border wall, and in addition to prohibiting contracts with them, would also prohibit certain public funds from being invested in the companies.

Rozic said that the legislation would be an “important step in pushing back against hateful, anti-immigrant rhetoric.”

State Senator Michael Gianaris, who represents much of Astoria, Long Island City and Sunnyside, also plans to fight back against one of Trump’s executive orders, and has plans to introduce legislation that would prohibit the Port Authority from expending any resources on Trump’s travel ban.

Trump signed an executive order on Saturday that barred citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States for the next 90 days, and barred any refugees from entering the country for the next 120 days.

Though the order initially applied to a massive group, including those entering the country legally and those with green cards, some of those aspects have since been scaled back due to an order from a federal judge.

Gianaris, whose own parents immigrated to the United States from Greece, came out strongly against Trump’s order.

“President Trump’s executive order is as un-American as it gets and it falls upon each of us to take any measures at our disposal to resist by any legal means,” Gianaris said in a statement. “The State of New York should not spend one penny in support of this unconstitutional federal effort and I will fight to make sure we don’t.”

His new legislation would prohibit the Port Authority from supporting the federal effort in any way, including through supporting personnel, the use of airport facilities under its control or the provision of electricity and climate control in areas of the airport being used for the detentions.

email the author: [email protected]

13 Comments

Click for Comments 
John

Whats not American about protecting our border moron Mike G? Not only Mexicans cross into the US, but people from all over the world come crossing illegally thru Mexico.. Not to mention the drugs and human trafficking. This country is going to shit! Now its not american and hatred for wanting our borders secure so no terrorist and/or maybe at least less drugs come thru, This country will sink just like many in europe losing control and due to refugees milking the system..

Reply
silent majority

Is it true that mayor DeBalsio feels that welfare fraud and forcibly touching are not serious enough charges to notify the feds if the suspects are here illegally? Boy have fun riding the 7 train.

Reply
Anonymous

he is just like all of the other queens counsel people all for themselves and more money in their pockets which is true –

Reply
Tony 'The Wrench'

The people have spoken, Trump won. All this outrage over the ‘Travel ban’ and the funniest thing is that the media forgot to mention that this ‘list’ was made by the Obama administración. These politicians clearly don’t believe in keeping America safe, they’re looking for political points. So these people were personally inconvenienced a few hours, and they’re losing their minds over that? Get the f*ck outta here’ I would rather these people get up and arms about waiting a few hours, then have another attack, where citizens are murdered by lunatics who flew in here and strolled in through the front door. Next time a tragedy happens’ we should send Gianaris and the rest of these clowns to explain to the family memebers of the victims, that we could’ve stopped these terrorists, but we didn’t want to inconvenience them upon arrival. What a joke, coming into this country is a privilege, not a right!

Reply
Harry Ballsagna

The people did speak. 10 million more americans voted for people not named Trump. No mandate, no popular support.

You should actually go do some more research on what Trump did vs. Obama regarding this list.

Also, you’re a dumb retard who keeps talking about keeping America safe. You have a 1 in 3.6 billion chance of being killed by a foreign terrorist. You have a greater chance of being hit by a bus, struck by lightning or shot by an american. Go learn something.

Reply
Tony 'The wrench'

Yeah? Well maybe you can build a time machine, and travel to 1787′ and single habdedly convince the government to eliminate the electoral college. You know’ because that’s what the constitution was missing, for Harry Ballsagna to come along’ lmfao’
You empty-headed pez despencer!

Reply
Anonymous

“The people” did NOT speak. “The people”, nearly 3 million in number voted for Mrs. Clinton, the Electoral College put this maniac in power. As to your ill-informed not that the “Obama administration” made the list is totally incorrect. The Obama administration listed these nations (as well as others, as I recall) were “unsafe for Americans to travel to.” A huge difference. Being detained and inconvenienced for a few hours is one thing. Being barred from entry of people who hold Green cards, some for several days and some from being allowed to board their flights is not a simple inconvenience.

Reply
Frank

Trump won the election by the prespecified rules. That means he won an the people spoke, period. The Electoral College is designed to prevent a handful of regions from dominating our Federal Republic. Given that the entirety of Hillary’s lead in the popular vote can be attributed to her margin of victory (not total votes) in New York City and Los Angeles, I would say the system worked as intended and all the whiny about the popular vote is petulant sour grapes.

That said I completely agree that green card holders should not be having to jump through hoops to enter the country, since they have been cleared by getting a green card. Still, there is nothing wrong with the country saying that people from de facto war zones will be barred entry – why take on the problem? It is a sovereign nation’s right to permeate its borders as it sees fit, and Trump’s rule has little to do with barring Muslims from entering the country. Personally, I would prefer much more rigorous standards for immigration, e.g., demonstrating a way to make an income or requiring university degrees. Nothing wrong with filtering out the low value immigrants from the pool and shunting them into a guest worker program.

Reply
Casey

Yeah. That’s a good way for NY to get none of the infrastructure money. These idiots always think the only way to deal with a situation is to boycott. Cuomo wouldn’t even sign such stupid legislation.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.