You are reading

Moving Image extends Mad Men exhibit through summer

Madmen1

May 27, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge

“Mad Men” is off the air but still on in Astoria.

The Museum of the Moving Image announced Tuesday that it will extend its exhibit “Matthew Weiner’s Mad Men” by roughly three months, through Sept. 6. The exhibit opened March 14 and was originally planned for a June 14 closing.

“Matthew Weiner’s Mad Men” offers a comprehensive exploration of the objects, resources and ideas that crafted the series and its stories during its seven-season run. Visitors to the exhibit will find hundreds of props, from Don Draper’s suit and office bar cart, to Joan Holloway’s pen necklace, to iconic ads and blood-stained costumes. Large-scale sets from the series with many original props are also on view.

Museum spokesperson Tomoko Kawamoto said that the decision to extend the exhibit was based on its “enormous popularity.”

According to Kawamoto, admission numbers have not been compiled, but the museum saw “approximately double” the number of visitors during the exhibit’s first month compared to the same period last year.

“Given the extraordinary popularity of the exhibition, which has attracted a broader public beyond fans of the show, the Museum is very pleased to extend its run,” Carl Goodman, the museum’s executive director, said in a statement. “A landmark TV series, ‘Mad Men’ will continue to be watched, discussed, and studied for years to come.”

Museum admission, which includes the exhibit, runs $12 for adults and $9 for seniors and students, and is free on Fridays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

 

Photo: Thanassi Karageorgiou / Museum of the Moving Image.

Photo: Thanassi Karageorgiou / Museum of the Moving Image.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.