Hate crimes unit investigates assault on No. 7 train

Suspect (NYPD)

Suspect (source: NYPD)

Feb. 26, 2014 Staff Report

A Hispanic man was attacked on a No. 7 train in Queens in what police are investigating as a possible hate crime.

Police say the 43-year-old victim was on the Queens-bound train around 4 p.m. on Sunday when he was punched in the face by the suspect, described as a black man in his 30s.

“I’m f—ing tired of f—ing Mexicans like you because I pay my taxes and you don’t pay nothing,” the attacker barked, according to Daily News sources.

The suspect fled the train at the Court Square station in Long Island City, police said.

The incident is being investigated by the Hate Crimes Task Force.

JF

what time did this happen? this was on a queens bound 7, correct?
Erik I think I saw the guy as well.. i remember it was super crowded, around 730 pm?

Erik Baard

Hello,

I was the person who intervened and thank the commenter above for his or her kind words. More importantly, thank you for your very accurate description. If you can, please contact the Hate Crimes Task Force so that you can provide information. My email is my name (erikbaard) run together (at) gmail.com if you want to know the names of the detectives on the case for direct communication.

Thanks again for the accurate description!

Best regards,

Erik

George

I would say he barked like a dog. If he’s not a dog he’s a savage. Probably a druggie collecting all kinds of disability and welfare this city loves to pay these bums like him than cry the blues they have no money. Makes me sick.

David

Sounds like me might have had mental problems? If that is the case, I don’t know if it still is classified as a hate crime? That being said it would not and should not diminish the seriousness of the verbal assault and how it effected other passengers.
Let’s hope some camera out there caught something more to help!

Anon

Suspect is African American last seen exiting at Queensboro Plaza not Court Square as the paper states. I only say this because I was in the car when the incident happened
Suspect last seen
5’12
170 pds
Black Timberlands
Dark Blue Jeans
Pea Coat
Short hair
noticeable birth mark on the left side of his face
walks around carrying a wooden hairbrush

Suspect is considered very dangerous and mentally disturbed. He needs help for whatever problem he is dealing with. At the time of the incident he was yelling slurs and seemed very on edge. Luckily, a man stopped him from attacking the Hispanic man and saved the rest of the people on the train. Everyone thought he had a gun as well. I went home and hugged my children. In NYC trouble finds you.

Anonymous

I hope the guy who was hurt gets better. I also hope he’s got a boss who’s supportive and perhaps has some health care.

* Reminded me millionaire politicians who figuratively take to punching the working poor by decreasing aid in all forms to the poorest.

skooh

This was a horrible act. You should know the proper term you should have used was “exclaimed”. Not “barked”. He is a person. Not a dog.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.