You are reading

GoFundMe Set Up For 2-Year-Old Victim Struck in LIC Hit-and-Run

Mason Castillo, 2, was run over by a taxi last week. (GoFundMe)

April 29, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money to help the family of a toddler struck by a hit-and-run taxi driver in a Long Island City last week.  

Two-year-old Mason Castillo was left with a broken leg and fractured skull after being struck in the crosswalk at 28th Street and Queens Plaza South last Wednesday. Mason was being walked to school by his grandmother when the taxi, which had been making a right turn, hit the boy and then fled the scene.

Castillo has undergone two surgeries to treat injuries.

The driver of the vehicle, 20-year-old Ramanpreet Singh, was placed under arrest on Friday morning at his Jamaica home and charged with leaving the scene of an accident, failure to yield and failure to use due care, police said.

Following the incident, Mason was transported to New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center where he is still in the hospital. He currently has a cast on his leg, the GoFundMe page says, and will not be able to begin physical therapy to help him walk again for four to six weeks.

To date, the GoFundMe page, set up by Mason’s Aunt Diana Castillo, has raised $8,090 of the $10,000 goal. The funds will be used to support Mason and his mother, Patricia, who will be staying home from work to take care of her recovering son.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.