You are reading

Gianaris Bill to Raise NYC Small Claims Court Limit to $10K Signed into Law

Queens County Civil Court (Google Maps)

Dec. 18, 2019 By Allie Griffin

A bill sponsored by State Sen. Michael Gianaris to increase the amount in dispute that small claims court can address in New York City was signed into a law by the governor Monday.

The law increases the previous jurisdictional limit from $5,000 to $10,000 and only applies to courts within the City of New York.

The $5,000 cap for small claims in the city is below the cost of many current disputes, Gianaris said. The new law allows people to resolve higher-dollar disputes without requiring attorneys.

“This is an important law that will make it easier for people to achieve justice in relatively minor disputes without needing to hire an attorney,” Gianaris said. “I am pleased to see this legislation addressing basic fairness signed into law.”

The limit for small claims outside the city remains $5,000 in city courts and $3,000 in town and village courts.

The law takes effect immediately.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Maspeth man faces life in prison for 2020 fatal stabbing in Dutch Kills: DA

A Maspeth man who was caught by transit cops vaping inside a Brooklyn subway station in January is facing as much as 75 years to life in prison for stabbing a Dutch Kills man to death four years ago.

Luis Hernandez, 36, of 56th Street, was arraigned Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court on a seven-count indictment charging him with murder, gang assault and other crimes in the fatal stabbing of a 21-year-old man and the attempted murder of two others in Astoria in 2020.