You are reading

Community Rallies Against Developers Who Defaced Elks Lodge

IMG_4387

March 9, 2016 By Michael Florio and Jackie Strawbridge

Dozens of Long Island City community members gathered on 44th Drive on Wednesday afternoon to protest developers’ destruction of a historic local building.

Unique exterior details have been illegally torn from the former Elks Lodge at 21-42 44th Drive, just days after an effort to landmark the property and stave off demolition was launched.

According to Department of Buildings documents, construction work on the property – including the removal of an elk head detail – was taking place without proper permits.

A stop work order was issued yesterday, which police had arrived to enforce on Tuesday afternoon.

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, who wrote a letter to the Landmark Preservation Commission last week requesting landmark consideration of this property, called the illegal work a “disgraceful act” at Wednesday’s rally.

“They tried to destroy what made it worthy of being landmarked,” Van Bramer said. “They tried to scar it and make it ugly.”IMG_4393

Van Bramer’s landmarking request followed a petition launched by the Court Square Civic Association to prevent demolition of the property.

“This is a slap in the face to the Long Island City culture,” Court Square Civic Association president Amadeo Plaza said. “These developers use Long Island City’s roots as a selling point, but they don’t protect them and they are destroying them.”

Van Bramer said he is introducing two pieces of legislation as a result of this incident.

One of these bills would increase fines on any building owner who does illegal demolition work on their property. The logistics and dollar amount are still being worked out, Van Bramer’s office said.

The other bill would create heavy fines for any landowner who destroys a significant element of their building without a permit for which a landmarking request has been submitted by the community.

After purchasing the property late last year, Adam Westreich of Alwest Equities told the LIC Post that his company was working with Planet Partners to develop both 21-42 44th Drive and the lot next door as luxury condos.

It is unclear where development plans stand now; the property was purchased once again in early February, according to City documents, although the buyer appears to be Planet Partners.

Neither company could immediately be reached for comment on this story.

“I am livid at the creeps who tried to destroy this building,” Van Bramer said.

“We will not stop fighting,” he continued, as protesters broke into chants of “we will win.”

email the author: [email protected]

12 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anon

LIC has been sold to the highest bidder. Look at the monstrosity 80-story tower planned. There’s no stopping the future ruin- unless you can pay.

Reply
SAVE-LIC

That monster will be the nail in our coffin.
That and the 70 story tower on the back of the clock tower.

They don’t care about our neighborhood. They don’t even build enough condos for locals to be able to purchase. It’s too expensive

Has anyone seen the Jackson? The most expensive and tiny poorly located condos you can imagine

Reply
Frank

You do realize that the developers (a) are in the business of making money and (b) will charge what the market will bear, not what a local can afford. It sounds like you are among those who simply won’t be able to afford to live here anymore. Sorry, but that is the way things go sometimes.

Reply
Anon

According to Crain’s the luxury market is starting to tank. It’s all a matter of time now.

Reply
MERES ONE

DOUBLE STANDARD ANYONE ????I m going to keep it short and sweet. I m saddened yet not surprise by yet again , another developer breaking the law, and destroying valuable art. What amazes me here is the double standard by elected council member Jimmy Van Bramer , friendly reminder for all, of his statement while we were trying to save 5 Pointz : “He said he is not an advocate for keeping the 5 Pointz building in its current form. He said that he believes in “property rights” and that the owner of the property—Jerry Wolkoff– is entitled to develop the site as long as his plans meet zoning rules and regulations” Is it me or do I see a clear double standard in 3 years ? The landmarking commission made it apparently clear the Elks Club does not fit requirement , the building is own by a private owner , just like 5 Pointz, and if we are going to talk about permits , friendly reminder there were no permit to white wash the building and have scissors lift on city sidewalk required to whitewash. Maybe the Elks club owner forgot to do large contribution to the office of said councilman… either or another very sad loss for LIC, but a clear political stunt.. NO SHAME …

Reply
Anonymous visitor

dumbo at his best — his pockets are always being lined and that you can take to the bank —

Reply
Frank

JVB never met a photo op he didn’t like. At the end of the day, he is for sale. The developers will just wait for the buzz to simmer down and pay off the right people to let them bulldoze the place. Honestly, the building is uninteresting except for a couple of moldings. Much ado about nothing.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.