You are reading

5 Pointz leaders say fight is not over, talk about forming human chain

Nov. 18, 2013 By Christian Murray

Hundreds of 5 Pointz fans turned out Saturday afternoon at the graffiti Mecca to hear their leaders tell them that the fight to save the building is not over.

The warehouse, owned by developers Jerry and David Wolkoff, is likely to be demolished in the New Year, to make way for two high-rise residential towers. However, supporters of the building remained defiant and urged fans to remain optimistic.

“I would like people to stop saying they are going to tear down this building,” said Angel Del Villar. “I don’t feel as though this is positive or realistic.”

The 5 Pointz curator Jonathan Cohen, aka Meres One, took a swipe at the media for printing that the building will be demolished and that the artists have lost their fight.

Many of these reports came out last week after Federal Court Judge Frederic Block denied the artists a preliminary injunction, which would have stopped the Wolkoffs from demolishing the building while a lengthy legal fight took place.

“I will let you know when it is over…and it is not over,” Cohen said. “We are still trying to Landmark this building, and there will be 15,000 landmark forms going in Monday.”

NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission forms were passed around and filled out by most of those in attendance.

Meanwhile, the group is also considering appealing Judge Block’s decision.

Jerry Wolkoff, the owner of the building, said prior to the Saturday’s rally that ‘the artists were wasting their time” and he didn’t know what they hoped to accomplish. “They are just hurting themselves,” he said. Other building owners who see how this has played out will be wary of allowing them to paint on their properties, he added.

At the rally, Angel Del Villar said he was prepared to go to extreme lengths if the system didn’t help the artists in saving the building—even calling for a human chain.

“We have enough people to go around this block,” he said. “We can all be handcuffed to one another. We are willing to get our arms cut off for 5 Pointz.”

email the author: [email protected]

6 Comments

Click for Comments 
anon

Hopefully these self proclaimed artist do not decide to tag the rest of the neighborhood now that their playground has been taken away.

Reply
art critic

Whatever you think of the current structure, it’s only a few floors high, not 47 stories high. Big difference.

Reply
5_Foot_Gremlin

”and yet another glass and steel box rob us of great views, sunlight and sky”

…and this building is not an eye sore?? Tear this fucker down.

Reply
art critic

The owner is correct in pointing out that any other property owner who might have considered letting their building be used for aerosol art will definitely decide against it after seeing what a headache he’s in for when he asks them to leave.

Still, it’s sad to see this interesting and unique place vanish and yet another glass and steel box rob us of great views, sunlight and sky.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.