You are reading

Weigh in on $11 million Revamp of Queensbridge Baby Park At Virtual Meeting

A section of the Queensbridge Baby Park (Google Maps)

Jan. 22, 2021 By Michael Dorgan 

The Parks Dept. is holding a virtual outreach meeting for residents to discuss the revitalization of the Queensbridge Baby Park in Long Island City.

The meeting will take place online on Jan. 28 at 6:30 p.m. It is expected to last about an hour.

The Parks Dept. is looking for the public to weigh in on the redevelopment of the entire park, which stretches from Vernon Boulevard eastward toward 21st Street. The city has already allocated $11 million to the project, according to the Parks Dept.

Residents of the nearby Queensbridge Houses NYCHA complex currently use a portion of the park, located at 41st Road and 12th Street, for recreation as it is made up of handball courts and benches.

The Parks Dept. is already redeveloping that area separately which will see the handball courts revamped and a new basketball court added.

However, as part of a larger revitalization project, the city is looking to redevelop the rest of the park and put in new amenities for residents. The city wants to create an attractive linear park to enhance public space and better connect residents to the waterfront.

The space is currently used by the Parks Dept. for operations and storage. The agency is expected to move to a composting facility under the Queensboro Bridge at the corner of Vernon Boulevard and Queens Plaza South to make way for the new project.

Next Thursday’s virtual meeting will mark the first step in the design phase of the larger project, the Parks Dept. said.

The agency said that the goal of the meeting is to gather feedback to shape the future of the site.

“We intend to incorporate the community’s vision into Queensbridge Baby Park’s design to create quality recreational space that better serves the surrounding communities,” said Parks Dept. Press Officer Charisse Hill.

The Parks Dept. aims to complete the design by the end of year. The procurement process will then begin, with construction not expected to begin until 2023.

Interested participants are required to register for free beforehand by clicking on this link.

(Google Maps)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Ashley Cruce

Please be more explicit and accurate on the current controversy: 1) Please correct “move to a composting facility” to “move the BigReuse Composting Site since it has only been given a 6-months extension.” Glad you linked it to your past article covering this controversy. But these two community interests should not be pitted against each other!!! Queensbridge/Riis Gardeners have been getting FREE compost and support from BigReuse for years!!! A solution that includes BOTH is needed.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.