You are reading

Vincenzo Cerbone, Co-Owner of Manducatis Italian Restaurant, Passes Away, Age 91

Vincenzo Cerbone, the longtime co-owner of Manducatis Italian restaurant in Long Island City, died after a short illness last week. He was 91.

Vincenzo Cerbone, the longtime co-owner of Manducatis Italian restaurant in Long Island City, died after a short illness last week. He was 91.

Dec. 8, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

Vincenzo Cerbone, the longtime co-owner of Manducatis Italian restaurant in Long Island City, died after a short illness last week. He was 91.

Cerbone was a well-respected and popular owner who opened the old-style restaurant on the corner of 47th Avenue and Jackson Avenue in the 1970s.

The Long Island City resident established the 13-27 Jackson Ave. location with his wife Ida and turned it into a neighborhood staple which attracted families, politicians and entertainers from across the city. The family-run eatery serves traditional Italian fare like homemade plates of pasta and a variety of meat dishes.

Cerbone was from Naples and served in the Carabinieri — the Italian law enforcement agency — before moving to the U.S. permanently in 1976. He also served in the First Infantry Division in the U.S. Army, known as the Big Red One, according to his daughter Gianna Cerbone-Teoli, who owns Manducatis Rustica restaurant on Vernon Boulevard.

She said her father was known for his generosity and never sought out recognition.

“My father was a very smart businessman who helped a lot of people,” Cerbone-Teoli said.

“He was never selfish and always thought of everybody else before he thought of himself. He had so much humanity inside of him.”

The couple started the business from humble beginnings, opening on Christmas Day 1977. They installed a refrigerator from their apartment and used the pots and pans Ida received from her bridal shower to get the eatery up and running. Their children began helping out by serving tables and washing dishes in the ’80s as business picked up.

Vincenzo Cerbone was the longtime co-owner of Manducatis, pictured (Photo Google Maps)

Cerbone preferred to keep a low profile despite his many noteworthy customers. For instance, he was good friends with singer Tony Bennett who often frequented the restaurant, Cerbone-Teoli said.

She said that her father always had a positive outlook on life despite suffering a terrible tragedy as a young child. His mother and three of his siblings were killed in a bombardment in Naples during World War II.

Cerbone-Teoli said her father would often say: “Life is a beautiful thing. Don’t worry about it, it looks like it’s bad but everything works itself out.”

He was a dedicated family man who cherished his wife of 61 years, Cerbone-Teoli said.

“They were always a beautiful couple. He left a great legacy of love and we had a wonderful childhood growing up,” she said.

The restauranteur was well-regarded among his customers, residents and community leaders in Long Island City. The Hunters Point Civic Association said it was “deeply saddened” to hear of Cerbone’s passing.

“His impact and dedication to our neighborhood was immeasurable,” the civic group said in a statement. “This is a deep loss for our community. We sincerely appreciate all his service.”

Cerbone’s wake took place in Middle Village Sunday while his funeral mass was held Monday at St. Mary’s Church on 49th Avenue in Long Island City. He will be buried in Italy.

He is survived by his wife Ida, his four children and nine grandchildren.

Vincenzo Cerbone (L) with his wife Ida Cerbone (R) (Provided by Gianna Cerbone-Teoli)

Vincenzo Cerbone, pictured with his wife Ida Cerbone (Provided by Gianna Cerbone-Teoli)

email the author: [email protected]

6 Comments

Click for Comments 
Eli

Had the pleasure to meet this man a couple times whenever I popped by for dinner or takeaway. Always dressed smart , had a pleasing smile and engaged in a conversation. He was proud of story coming to the US and running the establishment with his wife.

May his soul rest in peace and may his family find comfort during this time.

Reply
Sarah Williams, Tom Spackman

Oh my goodness, this has always been our favorite place to eat, and we were there before all the waterfront development. We came in for dinner after our son was born, just a few weeks old, and asked, “is it ok?” And they said “Absolutely! We love babies” The best people, the best family, the best food! We are so grateful to you and your family. So so sorry for your and our loss. Rest In Peace Vincenzo, love Tom and Sarah Spackman ❤️🙏❤️

Reply
Linda Phillips

Wonder man who enjoyed life, his beautiful family and had a
fantastic restaurant. His wife Ida
was a magnificent chef and he was supportive of her and his three polite and warm-hearted
Kids. Bravo and fond memories
of a special man.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.