You are reading

Van Bramer Eyeing Another Run for Queens Borough President

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer (Official New York City Council Photo by William Alatriste)

Dec. 7, 2020 By Allie Griffin and Christian Murray

Long Island City Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer is contemplating a run for Queens Borough President once again, campaign filings show.

Van Bramer has recently filed to run for borough president with the Campaign Finance Board and told Politico last month that he is “seriously considering” another go.

The council member would enter the 2021 race with significant resources — nearly $490,000 in campaign coffers, based on $8-to-$1 matching funds.

“I haven’t made a decision yet, but I’ve loved serving the people of Queens as a Council Member,” Van Bramer told the Queens Post. He added that he remains committed to helping his constituents and the city recover from the pandemic.

Should he run, Van Bramer would challenge Donovan Richards who assumed office last week after winning the June primary and November general election.

Richards’ term ends next year, since the November election determined who was to complete the remainder of former Borough President Melinda Katz’s term. Katz vacated the seat early to takeover as Queens District Attorney.

Van Bramer and Richards ran against one another in the crowded Democratic primary for the borough president job earlier this year. However, Van Bramer withdrew from the race in January 2020, citing family reasons.

During the campaign, Van Bramer positioned himself as the progressive candidate and attempted to paint Richards as part of the “Queens Machine,” since Richards was backed by the Queens County Democratic Party.

The pair often spared on the topic of real estate, with the scuttled Amazon deal being the subject of fierce debate. Van Bramer was against the tech giant coming to his district, while Richards had supported it for the 25,000 jobs it was expected to bring.

They have also differed on other developments. Richards supported the Industry Park rezoning in Brooklyn citing job creation, while Van Bramer opposed it saying that it would lead to the displacement of existing residents. The developer ended up withdrawing the plan.

The pair also clashed in the race over campaign contributions from real estate developers. Van Bramer made a decision in 2018 to stop accepting them, while Richards has continued to take them.

Van Bramer argued that candidates shouldn’t accept money from real estate companies since it could influence their land-use decisions. The borough president gets to weigh in on rezoning applications, which are typically filed by large developers.

Richards’ stance on real estate development has caught the attention of progressive leaders, with some talking about the need to challenge him, sources say.

Van Bramer does not have to decide whether or not to run until the end of February — when petitioning begins. Given the size of his campaign war chest, he doesn’t need to fundraise in the interim.

While the council member said he hasn’t made up his mind whether he will run, he did say he wants to help New York recover and in an equitable way.

“We have to do so much better for small businesses, for the thousands of unemployed New Yorkers struggling to make rent, immigrant communities devastated by COVID-19, and Black and Brown New Yorkers who deserve dignity and respect from police,” he said. “We need someone who’s going to fight for them all, not cozy up to power.”

Meanwhile, Richards’ spokesperson Tom Musich indicated that the borough president is concentrating on the task at hand.

“Queens Borough President Donovan Richards is focused on finding solutions to food insecurity, keeping small businesses open, and securing PPE for healthcare workers and first responders,” Musich said.

email the author: [email protected]

7 Comments

Click for Comments 
James Edstrom

No one will vote for Lamer Bramer anymore. He screwed our community in Hunters Point South. Refused to take up any problems while he hid away in Westchester during covid, was gone for so many months, we can not even count. Went against us in hiring security which helped curb crimes, went against us on every issue important to the people that vote in our community. Join us in our fight at http://www.HuntersPointSouthParks.com to fight against these politicians who do nothing and to fight against the crime.

10
1
Reply
Paul

Got scared of the competition, dropped out because it’ll split the votes, lied about “family obligations”, now that the field is clear with Richards, decided to pounce like the opportunist he is. This guy is a real piece of work.

Reply
Gardens Watcher

The race for QB President was always going to be rough and tumble because well…this is Queens, not just the more progressive enclave of Sunnyside/LIC.

Family obligations are still a factor for us all, especially more so now with Covid. And even more worrisome for those with elderly parents. He’s a good son from what I can see.

1
3
Reply
Jimmy VanAmazon

Funny, I attended a private fundraiser for JVB where he took money from real estate developers.

Reply
Chas

Just like Trump. He wants to keep the money in his “war chest” and doesn’t want to give it up. It will allow him to raise MORE money until his term is over. (Is he sells T-shirts and Hat’s?) Why can’t he just go find a real job in the public market. Maybe because he is un-hirable. No one wants a failure or corupt NYC politician, except maybe Deutsche Bank.
Now if he is still in the mood to work, get the his district cleaned up.
Stay Safe.

19
1
Reply
Anonymous

JVB is so misguided. What has he done to provide jobs for Queens? Nadaaaaaa. He’s a classic naysayer and would be awful for the people of Queens.

24
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.