You are reading

Van Bramer Condemns Development Plan Proposed for Former Amazon Site

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer (left) and State Senator Michael Gianaris at an anti Amazon rally in 2018. (Photo: Nathaly Pesantez)

July 8, 2020 By Christian Murray

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer announced last night that he is opposed to the plans put forward by a group of developers that would bring as many as 15 buildings to a 28-acre area in Long Island City.

Van Bramer, who has less than 18 months left in office due to term limits, posted a tweet that condemned the development that would go up by Anable Basin where the Amazon campus was slated to go.

“We cannot keep doing the same things over and over again and expect different results,” he tweeted. “We need to fundamentally change how we view development in New York City. I do believe that something should happen on this land, but this proposal isn’t that something.”

The tweet then referenced an article in the Queens Eagle that included excerpts of a letter he wrote to activist groups that was critical of the project.

The developers, who need to rezone the area in order to move forward with their plans, will need the city council to approve it. Should the plans get to the city council for a vote by the end of next year, Van Bramer would likely determine their fate since the council typically follows the lead of the local member.

However, Van Bramer is term limited and he may well be out of office by the time it gets to the council.

Van Bramer in the letter to activists cited gentrification as a key reason for his opposition.

“There is no question that this project as proposed would cause rents to rise in the surrounding community,” Van Bramer said in the letter, which was included in the Queens Eagle article. “There are far too many luxury apartments included and the proposed affordability is simply unacceptable.”

Van Bramer did not respond to Queens Post’s request for comment nor a request for a copy of the letter.

The development plan–put together by TF Cornerstone, Plaxall, Simon Baron and MAG Partners—incorporates the sites where Amazon HQ2 was slated to be built as well as some adjacent parcels.

The city council requested the developers come together and produce one unified plan for the area as opposed to each having a separate concept for their own property.

The developers have produced a joint plan that would consist of 10-to-12 million square feet of space, with buildings that range in height from 400 to 700 square feet, the equivalent of 30 to 60 story structures.

Rendering of the development provided by YourLIC

The developers also formed a group, dubbed YourLIC, to get community feedback. The group has held five workshops—with two held virtually—to discuss components of the plan.

The developers—with the exception of TF Cornerstone—each own a portion of the 28 acre area. TF Cornerstone is looking to develop two city-owned lots on 44th Drive, which are part of the 28-acre area.

Van Bramer, like other elected officials such as Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, said that the public land should be exclusively for public use.

Rendering: LIC Coalition

“I have said before and I will say again that all of the publicly owned land in this site should be used exclusively for the public,” Van Bramer wrote in the letter. “Not handed over to developers for profit, and I strongly support a community land trust on this site.”

The sites surrounding Anable Basin have been the subject of controversy for some time, since several of them are where Amazon HQ2 campus was expected to go, which would have brought office space and jobs.

The tech giant abandoned its plan after getting pushback from elected officials such as Van Bramer, State Sen. Mike Gianaris and Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Last week, Van Bramer was also critical of plans for a mega development on the border of Astoria and LIC that would bring as many as 2,700 residential units as well as commercial space in about a dozen buildings.

Van Bramer tweeted: “This proposal envisions luxury towers, some as tall as 26 stories, surrounded by two- to six- story buildings in a working class neighborhood. We do not want or need Hudson Yards East in #Astoria! ”

That project, which is also in Van Bramer’s district, also requires a rezoning and therefore city council approval.

The developers— Silverstein Properties, Kaufman Astoria Studios and BedRock Real Estate Partners–plan to start the rezoning process next year. It remains to be seen if Van Bramer will still be in office at that time it goes before the city council.

Van Bramer has not always been opposed to rezonings and large-scale development.

In 2013 he approved a rezoning that permitted G&M Realty to build more than 1,000 units on the former 5Pointz site on Jackson Avenue. He voted to approve it—despite many progressives and artists saying that project would lead to gentrification. The community board also voted against the rezoning.

Van Bramer also voted for the expansion of the Business Improvement District into Hunters Point, after allocating $25,000 of city funds to study it.

Update July 10: YourLIC has issued the following comment concerning Van Bramer’s response to the proposed waterfront development:

“Last summer, the City Council convened developers with property along the Long Island City waterfront and challenged us to work collaboratively on a comprehensive plan for 28 acres, including the former Amazon sites. Since then, we have brought hundreds of Long Island City residents together for community visioning sessions, both in person, and after COVID-19 hit our city, online. As a result of what we heard from the community, we have a proposal that would bring up to 26,000 permanent new jobs, 1,400 units of affordable housing, a workforce development center, resilient infrastructure, a public park, three new public school sites, a recreation center, space for arts and culture, and more to the neighborhood. We have paid close attention to the Council Member’s statements and priorities for the waterfront, and we hope to continue working constructively with him to shape a plan that works for everyone.”

email the author: [email protected]

9 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anon

Enough of the bullsh*t development!! Finally he’s saying something that makes sense

1
1
Reply
LIC resident

I did not agree with Jimmy’s stance on Amazon.

BUT, I 100% agree with his stance on this plan. This is not a good plan. 15 buildings??? Are F’ing kidding me? That’s like 13 too many, and the other 2 should be schools. Also, why would anyone agree with a plan to give away public land to a luxury condo developer – how is that good for NYC and the community?

I believe I’m speaking on behalf of the VAST MAJORITY of LIC/Hunters Point residents when I say that this plan to us is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

10
7
Reply
Mundek

As Larry pointed out, the main issue for LIC at this point (FF 10-15 years ago to now and 10-15 years from now) is the lack of infra to support all of these for-profit projects and termite mounds.

LIC is dead. No one wants to live here anymore with the pathetic excuse for 7 train, overcrowding, car racing, trash, all the out of town crowds wrecking the park.

7
6
Reply
Nearly Over

Little Jimmy’s relevance declines day by day as December 2021 gets closer.
Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

17
2
Reply
Anonymous

Does he want to contribute anything productive about this opportunity for NYC before he leaves? Is he really just going to be a road block until he’s term limited, voters elect someone new and we have to go through the same ordeal with that person? It’s easy to not communicate productively. And that’s what he’s been doing about this opportunity for New Yorkers.

13
3
Reply
Larry Penner

Can the existing transportation, sewer, water and utility systems support such a huge development project? There is also the challenge of expanding fire, police, sanitation, schools and other critical municipal services to support the thousands of new residents and commercial development that would come with this project..

(Larry Penner — transportation historian, advocate and writer who previously worked 31 years for the Federal Transit Administration Region 2 NY Office. This included the development, review, approval and oversight for grants supporting billions in capital projects and programs on behalf of the MTA, NYC Transit, LIRR, Metro North, MTA Bus, NYC DOT along with 30 other transit agencies in NY & NJ).
.

6
5
Reply
Come on man

So does JVB want to actually propose something for this space? Any constructive ideas? Or just keep blocking everything because it’s the trendy thing to do? We sure could use that $27 billion in tax revenue JVB already helped chase away.

LIC is gentrified. Rents are sky high. This is a large swath of land that divides LIC and Queensbridge. Nothing is there. Empty warehouses rotting away. It’s time to develop it. Enough of this thoughtless grandstanding.

15
4
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.