You are reading

There Are 600 Holocaust Survivors in Queens, Non-Profit to Get Large Sum to Help Them

A non-profit group with a large presence in Queens is set to receive millions of dollars to be allocated for holocaust survivors (Photo: Selfhelp website)

Mar. 3, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A non-profit group with a large presence in Queens is set to receive millions of dollars to be allocated for holocaust survivors.

Selfhelp, a Manhattan-based non-profit which provides a range of senior services, will receive nearly $31 million via the German government to help the organization care for elderly residents across the New York region who survived the horrors of the Holocaust.

A portion of those funds will be used to support Selfhelp’s Holocaust Survivor program in Queens, which it operates out of an office at 70-20 Austin St. in Forest Hills.

The program provides home care assistance, money management services, community support and social programs. There are around 600 Holocaust survivors who live in the borough, according to Aubrey Jacobs, a managing director of the program.

Out of the roughly 600 Holocaust survivors living in Queens, 125 of them live in Forest Hills, Jacobs said.

The $30.7 million comes via a global non-profit called the Claims Conference, which works with the German government to get the funds.

Claims Conference has been securing reparations for Holocaust survivors living around the world since the early 1950s. The organization makes annual payments to hundreds of non-profits, including Selfhelp.

The payments are the main source of funding for Selfhelp’s Holocaust Survivor program, Jacobs said.

Jacobs said that the funding is of vital importance to help Holocaust survivors live out their final years in comfort. Many Holocaust survivors are frail and aged in their 80s and 90s, she said.

“The support that we receive from the Claims Conference is of crucial importance as it allows us to… provide the services, support and care our clients deserve to help them live with dignity and independence,” Jacobs said.

Funding received by Claims Conference last year, Jacobs said, also went to cover the cost of medical care, food, utilities and other emergency needs Holocaust survivors required during the pandemic.

In addition, Selfhelp social workers provided virtual programs, phone calls and home visits to help address increased isolation of survivors during lockdowns.

Jacobs said it is hard to gauge how much of the funds being received this year will go towards supporting Holocaust survivors living in Queens, given Selfhelp operates other Holocaust Survivor programs across the New York City region.

Selfhelp’s Holocaust Survivor programs support around 5,500 Jews outside of Queens., she said.

Since 1952, the German government has paid more than $90 billion in indemnification to victims who suffered from persecution by the Nazis, mostly through negotiations with Claims Conference.

This year, Claims Conference is being awarded $720 million from the German government, which it will disburse among more than 300 non-profits and social services agencies throughout the world.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.