You are reading

Sunday: Virtual Memorial Service to Honor Local COVID-19 Victims

Deodoro Monge Gutierrez

June 27, 2020 Staff Report

An online service honoring approximately 70 western Queens residents who have died from COVID-19 will take place Sunday.

The event, titled Remembering Locals Lost to COVID-19, will take place via the video-conferencing application Zoom on June 28 at 2 p.m. It will last a little over an hour.

The service seeks to honor fallen victims of COVID-19, particularly those whose loved ones were unable to put on proper funeral services when there was a state-wide ban on large public gatherings.

The coronavirus has killed tmore than 20,000 New York City residents, according to the Health Department data, many of whom were laid to rest without having a public ceremony.

Civic leader Patricia Dorfman came up with the concept for the event following the death of Deodoro Monge Gutierrez, the owner of Bliss 46 Bistro in Sunnyside, who passed away from COVID-19 on April 21.

She said she wanted to create a platform for families and friends to remember the victims.

“People could not even offer a group toast at a local pub due to the shutdown,” she said.

The event will be hosted by Judy Zangwill, Executive Director of Sunnyside Community Services. The non-profit organization lost 54 clients across their programs to COVID-19.

Carmen Melissa Monge, the daughter Gutierrez, will do the honors of reading the names of the deceased.

Prayers will be shared of different faiths, with a varied musical program.

There will also be a prepared video put together by local composer and musician David Shenton that features all the names of those who passed. The names will be accompanied by soprano Erin Shield singing, “I’ll Be Seeing You.”

Local clerics appearing will be Imam Muhammet Sonmez Bayraktar of Sinan Mimar Mosque, Rabbi Ron Wittenstein of Young Israel, and Pastor Neil Margetson of Sunnyside Reformed.

The three priests from Queen of Angels Roman Catholic Church, Pastor Brian Dowd, Msgr. Jonas Achacoso, and Rev. Mintu Razario will offer prayers for the dead in English, Spanish, Tagalog, and Bengali.

Jerome Job Nathanial will offer secular spiritual remarks.

The service will start at 2 pm. However, the event will open up at 1:30 pm. There are a limited number of viewers for the live event so organizers suggest people sign in shortly after 1:30 p.m.

Additional details will be available in the Remembering Locals Lost event Facebook page.

If you cannot watch live, a recording of the service will be posted online in a week.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

MTA opens three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza subway station in Long Island City

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced the opening of three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza E/M/R subway station in Long Island City earlier this month as part of a larger accessibility and safety upgrades throughout the transit system.

The work included a full replacement of the cab and equipment within the cab, shaft and pit, along with two new elevator head houses located at street level. Crews also made modifications to the shaft and pit as needed to allow for new equipment. The elevator machine room and electrical and mechanical equipment received replacements and other modernization efforts for reliability.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.