You are reading

R Train Needs An MTA Study, Transportation Advocates And Electeds Urge

r_train_back

Jan. 12, 2016 By Jackie Strawbridge

In an effort to make R train rides less “infrequent and unreliable,” transportation advocates and more than 40 elected officials are calling on the MTA to conduct a comprehensive review of the line.

The Straphangers Campaign, the Riders Alliance, and the electeds – including several from western Queens – sent a letter to MTA head Tom Prendergast on Monday, requesting a study of the R line.

Some issues the study should look into, according to the letter, include “infrequent and unreliable service, a lack of communication and poor station conditions.”

Western Queens elected officials who signed on include Assembly Members Aravella Simotas and Francisco Moya and Council Members Costa Constantinides, Jimmy Van Bramer and Daniel Dromm.

“R train riders must contend with delays and infrequent service, combined with older train cars,” Constantinides said. “A full-line review to assess current issues and examine possible solutions would help to potentially improve the commutes of our residents.”

Full line reviews have been taking place since 2009, according to the MTA, including most recently a study of the A/C in December.

That review took more than a year to complete, which the letter writers called “simply too slow.”

“Riders cannot be expected to wait that long for service assessments and improvements,” they stated.

However, according to the MTA, they will likely have even longer to wait for an R train analysis.

MTA spokesperson Kevin Ortiz said that, because all full line reviews conducted so far have focused on lettered lines, a numbered line will be selected next.

Ortiz added that a review of the R has not been scheduled, stating that it would become “obsolete” once the Second Avenue Subway opens, which he said will impact ridership on the R due to new transfers to/from Manhattan and the diversion of the Q to the upper east side.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
MRLIC

Sure,the second avenue subway which the MTA can’t even afford to finish will take away the R line. Wonderful news for queens riders. First they took the G away from Queens and soon the R. MTA is a terribly run Authority. No wonder people call the MTA –Money Thrown Away.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.