You are reading

Queensboro FC Signs New Coach But Team Won’t Debut Until 2022

Josep Gombau (Twitter)

July 6, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queensboro FC has announced that it has signed a new head coach and that the newly-established team won’t begin playing until 2022– a year later than expected.

The first-ever Queens professional soccer franchise announced Monday that Spanish coach Josep Gombau will manage the team.

Gombau, whose 24 years of coaching experience spans four continents, will also serve as the club’s sporting director.

Queensboro FC was expected to debut in the United Soccer League Championship Division II professional league – a tier below Major League Soccer – in 2021. However, the club said yesterday that it is delaying the launch citing the impact COVID-19 has had on the borough.

The club said its youth academy– an important component of the franchise– was disrupted due to the virus. Club officials said that they need to have a talent pipeline to the senior team fully established before they enter the league.

Queensboro FC said it also needs to finalize stadium plans which include finding a stadium for the academy team to play in from March 2021.

In the meantime, 44-year-old Gombau will join forces again with Queensboro FC co-owner David Villa to put these structures in place. Gombau previously helped develop Villa’s DV7 global soccer academies.

Gombau, according to Villa, has the right credentials and is the perfect choice for both roles.

“For certain, a coach of this caliber will help take soccer in this country to a new level,” Villa said.

“Together, we will oversee all sporting aspects of the club, laying the groundwork for us to succeed at the highest level and be recognized all over the world,” Villa said.

Gombau previously worked as head coach of FC Barcelona’s youth academy where he helped develop the club’s famed “FCB Escola” system around the world. The program trains and educates boys and girls aged between 6 and 11 years old. It has produced some of Barcelona’s biggest stars including Lionel Messi.

Gombau has won two national league titles with Hong Kong outfit Kitchee SC and won the Australian Cup with Adelaide United.

He has also had stints with the Western Sydney Wanderers, Australia’s U-23 national team, and was assistant coach for Australia’s senior national team when they qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. His last role was as head coach of Odisha FC in the Indian Super League.

Gombau, who lived in Queens from 2015 to 2016 when he worked as Technical Director of the DV7 Soccer Academy, said he wants to help the city in its renewal and revitalization.

He said this can be done through the lens of sport, community and grassroots efforts.

“I am committed to bringing together a diverse mix of homegrown and international players, to form the first-ever professional soccer team that the borough of Queens can call its own,” Gombau said.

“Our attacking style of play will undoubtedly bring global recognition and fan excitement – while helping continue to grow the game in America.”

email the author: [email protected]

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
LIC resident

Here’s an idea. Let’s put the stadium in LIC at the old Amazon site. Build facilities and open space around it that can also be used for the youth academy and larger public which the community desperately needs. Build the schools and green space, playgrounds, indoor community center, etc around this.

Tax-generating retail and light commercial space can be carved out to serve the needs of the area. Maybe its a flexible mixed-use space that can be used for office and retail – there are many good examples of this across NYC and other large cities. Once you get a good anchor tenant, others will come.

Let’s not build more ugly condo buildings which only squeezes out Queens residents with high rents, lines pockets of developers, blocks the sunlight, strains existing infrastructure, and generates minuscule tax income.

Just an idea. I realize what is more likely is the corrupt politicians and developers winning out here and putting up some TFC disaster.

Reply
LICperson

Personally I’d love this idea, but too many people around here are in the NIMBY camp

Reply
Please no more condos

100% Agree. The politicians are corrupt (and stupid). LIC does not need any more condos. It needed Amazon. AOC and her left of left know-nothing comrades have ruined the area.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.