You are reading

Queens Undergoes a Spike in Suicides as COVID-19 Crisis Rolls On

(Luca Bravo Unsplash)

April 29, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Suicides in Queens have soared since COVID-19 broke out.

The rate has doubled in the past six weeks compared to the same period in 2019, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

The alarming numbers come at a time when Queens is being hit hard by the virus. The borough has experienced more COVID-19 confirmed deaths than any other in the city.

There were 16 reported suicides in Queens County between March 15 and April 28, the data shows. By comparison, there were eight suicides in Queens County for the same period last year – March 15, 2019 – April 28, 2019.

The figures indicate that COVID-19 – which has killed as many as 5,000 borough residents – is also having an emotional impact on the World’s Borough.

“There is a mental health component to this health crisis that needs our attention,” Queens District Attorney’s Melinda Katz said in a statement.

“Since this pandemic began the numbers of suicides in Queens County have soared, she said.

The statewide economic shutdown began on March 22 but restrictions on mass gathering had gone into effect in the city earlier. Mayor de Blasio shuttered bars and restaurants on March 17, except for takeout and delivery. Schools closed on March 16.

Katz said that nobody is immune from the emotional distress of the virus and called on residents to look out for one another.

“Check in on each other because nobody should be alone in this and there is absolutely no shame in reaching out for help.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.