You are reading

Private Security Firm Set to Patrol LIC Waterfront Once Again

Gantry Plaza State Park (Photo: Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

April 26, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A group of Long Island City residents who hired private guards last year to beef up security along the Hunters Point waterfront say they plan to relaunch the initiative again when the weather heats up.

Group leaders say they will bring back the security, starting on Memorial Day weekend, in order to deter illegal racing, rave parties, and other unlawful acts from making a return to the waterfront parks this summer.

The LIC Community Action group, a Facebook group that is behind the initiative, said residents were living on edge last year and they want the security team back on patrol—despite recent assurances by local officials that the chaos will not reoccur.

“We should not feel uncomfortable or even afraid to walk our dogs or walk with our children,” said Yolanda Tristancho, a resident who formed the group last year in response to last year’s quality-of-life issues. “The security helps us feel safe and that is very important.”

Last year, Gantry Plaza State Park and Hunters Point South Park were hotspots for late-night parties, piercingly-loud fireworks and speeding cars – incidents that alarmed many residents. The parks were also vandalized, with the piers tagged with graffiti and some park items destroyed.

The issues prompted the LIC Action Group to hire a private security firm to patrol the area on weekends in September and October. Group members argued that the police were not doing enough to prevent the uptick in crime and said they were left with no choice but to take action and bolster security.

The initiative – although controversial – proved effective, according to Tristancho, citing instances where the security team instructed visitors to leave the waterfront parks after closing time, de-escalated verbal altercations and told drivers of parked cars to turn down loud music.

The security team — which consisted of four guards — helped quell disruptive conduct and the group wants the security team back to carry out the same duties again this year, Tristancho said. The security team also took notes of unruly behavior in the area, logged incidents and reported findings to the 108th Precinct, Tristancho said.

Members of the On Point Security team that patrolled the waterfront last year. (Image provided by Yolanda Tristancho)

She said that the group has faith in the NYPD but noted that they have limited resources. She was encouraged that officials from the 108th precinct said at a public meeting earlier this month that there would be more cops on the beat in the area this summer.

Tristancho said that plans to hire the security for this summer were being drafted over the winter—long before the public meeting took place this month—and that the security initiative is a proactive approach that aims to support the NYPD and local officials.

The group, Tristancho said, has spoken with representatives from the 108th Precinct and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer’s office about the plans for private security. Tristancho said that the officials are willing to work with the LIC Community Action group on the matter.

“This has to be a collaborative effort… with our team being the back up as eyes and ears on the ground,” she said.

The group, Tristancho said, will re-hire On Point Security, an Astoria-based security firm, to patrol the walkway outside both parks from Thursdays through Sundays from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

There will be between four to six security officers on patrol per shift and they will have the same roles as last year, she said.

The security, Tristancho said, will again be funded by residents via a GoFundMe campaign. Tristancho set up a new GoFundMe page a week ago and the group has raised nearly $3,000 so far with the target being $20,000.

“The intention is to help secure a friendly environment so that everyone can enjoy the parks and the surrounding area in a respectful and peaceful manner.”

email the author: [email protected]

6 Comments

Click for Comments 
jim

The reason you feel unsafe is because according to NYC voting demograhpics, LIC residents voted overwhemlingly for liberal progressive candidates. Their policies have wrecked NYC’s safest big city designation . Liberal politics = high crime , high taxes and horrible services. NYC’s history clearly show this.

Reply
John

Jimmy for QBP. Going to help every neighborhood be forced to have its own security detail..

6
1
Reply
James Edstrom

This is great. Thanks for all the donations. You can also join us for up to the minute posts on the crime in the park. Residents can exchange whats happening and no one is left in the dark. Join our fight for a safer neighborhood. http://www.HuntersPointSouthParks.com

2
2
Reply
Fake cops

It’s not their jurisdictions to patrol the park it’s a public place tough if you don’t like the noise at night welcome to nyc.

2
12
Reply
FromQueensNYC

It’s not just the noise! It’s the vandalism, shootings, refusing to leave the parks when they officially close for the evening. There were two murders last summer!

9
3
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.