You are reading

Paul Simon to hold benefit performance before audience of 150 in Long Island City, tickets on sale

March 23, 2017 By Hannah Wulkan

A music legend will be holding an intimate benefit performance in Long Island City for an arts education non-profit.

Queens native Paul Simon, one half of folk-duo Simon and Garfunkel and legendary musician, will play a special benefit concert in Long Island City on April 5 from 7 to 9 p.m. to raise money for arts education program Materials for the Arts.

MFTA is a city-run organization out of 33-00 Northern Boulevard that collects materials from businesses and individuals and gives them out to public schools and other non-profit art programs for free.

The concert will benefit Friends of Materials for the Arts, a connected non-profit program that runs educational programing and warehouse operations for the group.

The fundraiser came about as the brainchild of Simon himself, said MFTA spokesman Kwame Belle.

Simon visited the MFTA in December to see a set of wind chimes made of found objects by local artist Skip LaPlante in the hopes of using them on his upcoming tour, Belle said.

While visiting, Simon was blown away by the 25,000 square foot warehouse filled with donated items, in what Belle described as looking like a “cross between a Costco and an Ikea.”

He also witnessed two class fieldtrips at the MFTA learning about the intersection environmental sustainability and art, and said that he wanted to support the program by holding a benefit concert.

“We were so grateful and began brainstorming where to hold it, but his main request was to hold the performance at MFTA to showcase it as a beacon for sustainability and to shine a light on program,” Belle said.

The group is selling 150 tickets to the concert to ensure that it is an intimate group, and tickets run from $500 for general admission to $750 for special VIP seating.

The proceeds will go specifically towards the Friends of MFTA group, and will help fund more than 100 free field trip programs for title one schools, or those with high populations of low-income students, and will also go towards monthly public workshops that teach how to make art with regular household items.

“What we really want to do is honor Paul Simon’s request and use this to spread awareness of the program as an example of affordability and access to creative New Yorkers,” Belle said.

For tickets or more information visit https://paulsimon.splashthat.com

 

email the author: [email protected]

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

A very generous offer by Mr. Simon. LIC has plenty of wealthy folks who could spend that without feeling a pinch.

Reply
Mark Colangelo

Strange. A show of that caliber in an intimate setting should be more expensive. I would almost purchase a ticket if not for the fact that I would need 2.

Reply
mike

saw him with art garfunkel in 1981 in central park for free
i was 10

and with his own band in 91 at central park for free

yes i am old he is great though

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.