You are reading

NRG to Challenge State’s Rejection of Its Astoria Power Plant Proposal

The NRG plant occupies 15 acres within the 300-acre ConEd complex (NRG)

Nov. 29, 2021 By Allie Griffin

NRG, the Houston-based energy company, is refusing to back down on its plans to overhaul its 50-year-old peaker plant in Astoria.

The company said the state’s decision to reject its plan to rebuild its Astoria plant was “short-sighted and politically driven.” Now, it hopes a judge will agree.

NRG Energy has requested an adjudicatory hearing after the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation denied permits sought by the company to replace its 50-year-old plant on 20th Avenue.

“NRG is requesting an adjudicatory hearing related to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s decision to deny an air permit for the Astoria Replacement Project,” Tom Atkins, vice president of development for NRG Energy, said in a statement Friday.

NRG proposed replacing its aging gas and oil-fired turbines with a natural gas-fired plant, but the DEC concluded last month that the plan failed to comply with state climate requirements.

The company maintains that its plan would significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions coming from its current plant — and that the DEC’s decision was motivated by political interests.

“The DEC’s decision is short-sighted, politically driven, contrary to the plain language of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA), as well as both legally and factually flawed,” Atkins said.

Critics of the plan argue that the state should reject the proposal since the plant would still be powered by fossil fuels, noting that natural gas is not clean energy.

NRG, however, has argued that New York City cannot be reliably powered by renewable energy sources alone at this time. In the meantime, the company’s plan would reduce its current carbon footprint at the site with the use of natural gas — as the city moves to a renewable future, it said.

The company added that its peaker plant acts as a backup when other plants — powered by clean energy — are down or unable to produce enough energy to power the city. Therefore, it’s often not in use and emitting pollutants.

“As a backup/standby unit that only operates when there are not enough renewable energy resources available, we will continue to demonstrate the Project is fully consistent with the limits, targets, and goals of the CLCPA and will play a meaningful role in helping New York transition to a zero-carbon electric grid,” Atkins said.

Regardless of the DEC’s decision, NRG will retire the current plant in May 2023 in accordance with the DEC’s energy efficiency laws. The plant will no longer comply with state-level restrictions on nitrogen oxide emissions.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
MRLIC

Too many short sughtefd Democratic Socialists in NYC.
The technology is not there yet to power NYC all green. Just like Biden shutting down The keystone XL pipeline and oil and gas leases to appease environmentalists .Yet he depended On OPEC to ramp up productoon and they did not. So hisvtoo lottle too late Reserve pil telease may mot do the trick. He did approve a Russian pipeline through Germsny however. Anti American President.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.