You are reading

New York City Will Enter Phase Two of Reopening Monday With Outdoor Dining Open

Bar 43 in Sunnyside serving takeout during COVID-19 shutdown (Photo: QueensPost)

June 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New Yorkers will be able to dine out at their local restaurants Monday, as New York City begins the next phase of reopening.

Mayor Bill de Blasio confirmed today that the five boroughs will enter Phase Two of the state’s reopening plan Monday, noting that restaurants will be able to open outdoor seating.

Barbershops, hair salons, offices, playgrounds and in-store retail will also reopen Monday, as well as real estate and car leasing.

“A whole host of industries will come back to life,” de Blasio said.

The mayor outlined the city’s plan to expand outdoor seating space for restaurants.

Restaurants will be able to take advantage of a variety of options, including sidewalks seating, parking space seating, open streets seating and pedestrian plaza seating.

Eateries with backyards and patios can also seat customers in their outdoor spaces.

“We think this will help save at least 5,000 New York City restaurants.” de Blasio said.

Restaurants can open sidewalk seating, beginning Monday through October and curbside seating in parking lanes Monday through Labor Day.

Seating areas in parking lanes must be blocked from traffic with barriers, such as planters, and can only extend the length of the storefront. Sidewalk seating must maintain a clear path for pedestrians.

Restaurant owners can apply online for sidewalk and curbside seating and self-certify within minutes online, de Blasio said.

Outdoor seating options for Monday (City Hall presentation)

The city will also allow seating on full streets closed to traffic through the Open Streets initiative it launched during the pandemic.

The open streets seating will begin in July, as the Department of Transportation and community groups identify potential roads. The seating will be allowed on nights and weekends, de Blasio said.

“We’re thrilled to offer the streets and sidewalks to help our cherished restaurants come back to life,” said DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg.

An estimated 150,000 to 300,000 more New Yorkers will return to work in Phase Two.

The city has launched a hotline to help business owners navigate reopening and follow the state and city requirements. Owners can call 888-SBS-4NYC can visit nyc.gov/business for guidance.

(City Hall presentation)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.