You are reading

New York City Launching $170 Million Initiative to Combat Hunger

Photo: Twitter NYC.gov

April 15, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The Mayor is launching a $170 million initiative to feed hungry New Yorkers–many of whom have lost their jobs or income due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“We’re dealing with an unprecedented challenge in terms of people needing food, so we’re going to create an unprecedented response,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press briefing today.

Before the coronavirus outbreak, 1.2 million people were unable to consistently put food on the table each day, according to the mayor. This included one in five children.

They mayor said more New Yorkers are going hungry following the mass layoffs caused by COVID-19. He estimated that half a million New Yorkers have lost–or will lose–their jobs and many are struggling to pay for groceries.

“If you have no money, how do you get food?” de Blasio said. “We know that the massive unemployment that we’re experiencing is literally every zip code, every part of this city.”

The city will increase the amount of food available to those in need. The mayor said the food will be distributed through its existing network of food pantries and soup kitchens– and the city will find new ways to get it to the hungry.

For instance, the mayor said the city will hire 11,000 TLC-registered drivers to deliver 100,000 meals a day to people in need who cannot leave their homes. Recipients will include the elderly, NYCHA residents and the medically fragile.

The drivers will be paid per shift and get money back in their pockets to feed their own families, de Blasio said.

The city will also create a New York City food emergency reserve in case of a disruption to the food supply chain. The reserve will have 18 million shelf-stable meals, the mayor said.

The new initiatives build upon earlier efforts from the Mayor including the grab-and-go meals being offered for free at 400 schools/meal hubs, as well as 30,000 meal deliveries to seniors.

“We will not let anyone go hungry,” de Blasio. “If anyone in your life needs food, we will get it to them.”

New Yorkers who need food assistance can visit nyc.gov/getfood or call 311.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.