Long Awaited Pulaski Bridge Bikeway Unveiled

Pulaski NYC DOT

April 29, 2016 Staff Report

A long-awaited bikeway connecting Queens and Brooklyn is officially open.

The Department of Transportation unveiled the new two-way protected bike path over the Pulaski Bridge, which runs from Long Island City to Greenpoint, Brooklyn, on Friday. A pedestrian-only walkway runs alongside, whereas cyclists and pedestrians used to share a narrow path along the bridge.

DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg called the bikeway a “critical project” that “will help pedestrians, bikers, cars, trucks and buses in Brooklyn and Queens get safely where they need to go.”

Friday’s unveiling followed several years of fits and starts for the project. Delays in the contracting and design processes set the project back multiple times.

Then last weekend, cyclists took to the bikeway thinking it was open, even though the DOT still had final touches to complete, as the LIC Post reported Monday.

“For the past four years, I have advocated for this project that is vital to the neighborhoods of Greenpoint and Long Island City, and today, I’m so glad to see it completed,” Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer said. “Now, it’s easier and safer for pedestrians and cyclists to travel between Brooklyn and Queens.”

The DOT has promised 15 more miles of protected bike lanes to be constructed throughout the city in 2016 – the most ever in a calendar year, according to the agency.

PayUpPunk

I am not wasteful with my money which means I don’t take vacations or road trips frequently. Maybe I too should live off food stamps, section 8 rent, free cell phone and stolen cable and internet like my neighbor. Her life seems better than mine.

PayUpPunk

Continued from above: I am not wasteful with my money which means I don’t take vacations or road trips frequently. Maybe I too should live off food stamps, section 8 rent, free cell phone and borrowed cable and internet like my neighbor. Her life seems better than mine.

PayUpPunk

My neighbor owns two cars and takes road trips all over the country. She eats better food than I and owns a better phone than I. Heck, her apartment is better than mine and she’s 43 years old. Sure, maybe if I worked a little harder and focused on my career. I do work about 50 hours a week and I do have a business degree, yet I worry about money sometimes because life near the city (lic) is expensive. Continued

SC

Rarrrr rarrrr something something about over development and cars and yuppies ruining the neighborhood.

Rarrrr

brooklynmc

Oh, sorry, I guess I should be riding a single speed with a beard while eating my kale salad on my way to my yoga class.

SuperWittySmitty

Careful, rollerbladers are extremely sensitive to the slightest bit of criticism. Unless you show complete support and adoration for their outmoded method of transportation, they’ll respond with a lame attempt at withering snark. Ignore them and try not to laugh when you see one of them wipe out after hitting a pebble.

brooklynmc

Come on, I have read some of your posts. You are smarter than the average troll. Give it a rest.

brooklynmc

I do realize that as a rollerblader, I am a minority, but this surface they chose is bumpy and hard. Though I won’t do it, I am tempted to stay on the wrong side.

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime.