You are reading

Breaking boards for a cause: LIC martial arts school raises funds for LA wildfire relief

Phot Via Getty and CMA LIC

Jan. 29, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

A Long Island City martial arts school has launched a break-a-thon fundraiser to aid the victims of the Los Angeles wildfires.

Students at Champions Martial Arts Long Island City, located at 49-15 Vernon Blvd., have each received fundraising envelopes and will break a board for every $10 donation they receive over the next month.

The campaign, running from Jan. 20 until March 1, aims to use students’ martial arts talents to raise money and spread awareness for victims of the California wildfires, which have destroyed at least 16,000 structures and killed at least 29 people.

Once they know how many donations they have received, students will break boards at a break-a-thon at Champions Martial Arts at the end of February.

Master William Dobie, Head Master at Champions Martial Arts LIC, said the commitment to break a board for every $10 donation aims to add a martial arts element to the fundraising drive.

“That’s our fundraising angle as a martial arts school,” Dobie said. “A lot of people have other fundraising angles. Maybe they’ll run or whichever, just like in a marathon. Our angle is martial arts, so we wanted to use boards as an easy way to have that as our angle to fundraise and help out.”

Dobie also hopes that the fundraising campaign will help teach his younger students important life skills, including empathy for people who are less fortunate. Champions regularly organizes toy and food drives to give back to the community and make students aware of the importance of helping others.

“It just gives time for children to think about what they have and how others don’t have the basic needs that they once had or never had,” Dobie said.

Champions Martial Arts, which operates dozens of locations across and New Jersey, including numerous Queens locations, is running the fundraising campaign across all of its locations and has partnered with Operation Child Rescue, a nonprofit dedicated to fighting child hunger.

At the end of the campaign, Champions and OperationCR will select charities in Los Angeles to receive the donation drive’s proceeds. Dobie said Champions is currently considering charities such as the American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles, which helps people find affordable housing, and humanitarian and disaster relief charity Convoy of Hope.

Anyone interested in donating to the appeal can do so on GoFundMe.

CMA/LIC

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

MTA opens three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza subway station in Long Island City

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced the opening of three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza E/M/R subway station in Long Island City earlier this month as part of a larger accessibility and safety upgrades throughout the transit system.

The work included a full replacement of the cab and equipment within the cab, shaft and pit, along with two new elevator head houses located at street level. Crews also made modifications to the shaft and pit as needed to allow for new equipment. The elevator machine room and electrical and mechanical equipment received replacements and other modernization efforts for reliability.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.