You are reading

Kidnapper who held man in torture chamber for a month gets 25 years to life

38-09 43rd Avenue

38-09 43rd Avenue

Oct. 24, 2016 By Hannah Wulkan

A man has been sentenced to up to life in prison for abducting a Woodside resident and holding him hostage in a Sunnyside/Long Island City warehouse for more than a month in 2013.

District Attorney Richard Brown announced today that 42-year-old Eduardo Moncayo of New Jersey had been found guilty of first degree kidnapping by a jury earlier this month, and would serve 25 years to life in prison.

“This was a terrifying ordeal for the victim. The businessman was forcibly abducted from the streets of Queens County and held against his will in a vacant warehouse for 32 days. The victim’s fingers were burned with acid, he was struck so hard in the mouth several teeth were knocked out and even after being rescued, the victim was deeply traumatized. The sentence imposed today was more than warranted,” Brown said.

According to testimony from the trial, the victim, 52-year-old Pedro Portugal, was approached outside of 88-06 Roosevelt Avenue on April 18, 2013 and Moncayo called out to him by name.

Moncayo then displayed what appeared to be a police badge, and then along with his co-defendants Dennis Alves, 35, and Christian Acuna, 38, grabbed him and forced him in to a nearby SUV.

Once inside the vehicle, Moncayo allegedly punched Portugal in the face and body and put a mask over his face so he could not see anything.

The victim was then driven to a warehouse at 38-09 43rd Avenue and was tied to a chair and beaten. He was then instructed to call his mother in Ecuador and request $3 million in ransom.

Brown said that the victim was held hostage from April 18 until May 20 in 2013, and during that time his hand was burned with acid, and the kidnappers threatened to cut off his fingers and kill him. Portugal also had his tooth knocked out from a punch and suffered bruising, swelling and pain.

Portugal was rescued by the NYPD Major Case Squad on May 20, 2013, when they entered the building and found his hands bound with cloth and duct tape.

Moncayo’s co-defendants, Alves and Acuna, are still awaiting trial.

The investigation was conducted by the NYPD’s Major Case Squad. The U.S. Justice Department also assisted with the investigation.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.

Op-ed: An urgent call for revising NY’s criminal justice reforms to protect public safety

Apr. 11, 2024 By Council Member Robert Holden

In 2019, the State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo embarked on a controversial overhaul of New York’s criminal justice system by enacting several laws, including cashless bail and sweeping changes to discovery laws. Simultaneously, the New York City Council passed laws that compounded these challenges, notably the elimination of punitive segregation in city jails and qualified immunity for police officers. These actions have collectively undermined public safety and constrained law enforcement effectiveness.