You are reading

Horror-Themed Escape Room Opens in LIC

State Sen. Mike Gianaris (left) with Melanie Lemieux and Kyle Radzyminski (Mike Gianaris)

Sept. 16, 2019. By Shane O’Brien 

A new horror-themed escape room opened in Long Island City last week, aptly on Friday the 13th.

The ESScape Experience, located at 24-11 41st Ave., is owned and operated by a husband-and-wife duo who own several businesses in the Queens Plaza area.

The pair, Kyle Radzyminski and Melanie Lemieux, own two bar/restaurants– The Baroness and The Huntress— as well as a musical education center called New York Stage of Mind.

The escape room currently features one escape scenario, entitled The Real Kitchen Nightmare, according to Radzyminski. He said that guests have to work their way through six different rooms, ranging from easy to difficult and from timid to terrifying, in order to escape.

The escape room is designed for groups of two to six people and groups have one hour to escape.

Sessions are available seven days a week between 1 p.m. and 10 p.m. and cost between $100 and $180 depending on the size of the group.

Radzyminski described himself and his wife as “do it yourselfers” and said that together they built the escape room in its entirety.

The escape room was opened by State Sen. Mike Gianaris who praised Radzyminski and Lemieux’s contribution to the LIC community.

“Western Queens is home to a thriving small business community and I am excited to welcome the ESScape Experience to the neighborhood,” Gianaris said. “Melanie and Kyle are dynamic local entrepreneurs who want to make a difference in our community and I am always proud to support the good work people do in our community.”

Lemieux, meanwhile, said that the support of the LIC community was pivotal to their success. She said that opening an escape room, or any of the couple’s other ventures, would not have been possible without the backing of LIC residents.

(ESS Hospitality Group)

email the author: [email protected]

6 Comments

Click for Comments 
T. Smith

NO DONATIONS – for this restaurant or the owners.

NO CONTRIBUTIONS.

Go to Burger King, McDonald’s or Wendy’s instead.

Close this restaurant please.

13
2
Reply
T. Smith

Bad Food.

Overpriced menu items.

Call the local health department and fine this business.

It is terrible.

16
2
Reply
T. Smith

Bad Food. Overpriced Menu Items.

Call the local health department and fine this business.

It is terrible.

9
7
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.