You are reading

Future of the BQX Streetcar Uncertain as COVID-19 Puts Hole in City Budget

BQX Rending on 21st Street in Astoria (EDC+DOT)

May 4, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The future of the $2.7 billion streetcar connecting western Queens to northwest Brooklyn remains uncertain, as the city now grapples with a massive budget hole brought on by COVID-19.

The city had just begun the environmental review process for the streetcar project, dubbed the BQX,  in February and March — but the project could now be delayed or event halted altogether, as the city budget is projected to lose $7.4 billion in tax revenue.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said last week that he was unsure whether the new budget could support the project.

Proposed BQX Route (EDC+DOT)

“It’s a very good example of the kind of thing that now has to be thought of very differently simply for the budget ramifications alone,” he said at a City Hall briefing last week.

He declined to give a firm answer as to whether or not the BQX will still happen — and noted that “substantial federal funding” was needed to make the project a reality.

The city needs the federal government to cover half the cost of building the 11-mile streetcar line.

However, the city is already asking the federal government to send coronavirus relief money to cover the massive budget gap.

The NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC) has yet to disclose what its next steps are with the BQX.

It had planned to begin scoping for the project this month but no public meetings have been scheduled, according to the project website.

The BQX streetcar, which was first announced by Mayor Bill de Blasio in 2016, would connect Astoria, Queens to Red Hook, Brooklyn.

email the author: [email protected]

4 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

So what if it took a pandemic that has killed thousands New Yorkers and blown a hole through the city’s budget to knock some common sense into the planning process for this fiasco? I’ll gladly take it. Bye, BQX! No one will ever miss you.

4
1
Reply
Larry Penner

The original completion date has already slipped five years from 2024 to 2029. There is no guarantee that the Federal Transit Administration will pay for up to 50% of the cost. Dreams of Amazon doing the same have come and gone, since they canceled coming to Long Island City. There is no funding for this project in the MTA $51 billion 2020 – 2024 Five Year Capital Plan. There is no commitment to use future Manhattan congestion pricing toll revenues starting in 2021 to help fund this project. It remains to be seen if this project will be included within the pending long range MTA 2020 – 2040 Capital Needs Assessment Plan document. There is no proposed funding to advance this project in either the city or state budgets. No one knows if the next Mayor will support this project and make it a priority. The same would be true for the next NYC Economic Development Corporation President or NYC Department of Transportation Commissioner. Mayor Bill de Blasio has yet to request approval to enter the Federal Transit Administration New Starts process for future funding. The project is not included within the February 2020 FTA New Starts report for federal fiscal year 2021. Don’t count on seeing it in the next FTA New Starts report for federal fiscal year 2022. Successful completion of this process averages five years before there is an approved Federal Full Funding Grant Agreement in place.

Mayor de Blasio’s plan to finance this project by taking a percentage of property taxes (value capture) on new development was always robbing Peter to pay Paul. This would reduce the amount of money available for police, fire, sanitation and other essential municipal services. Both the NYC DOT and Economic Development Corporation have no experience in design, construction or operations of street car systems. Mayor de Blasio will have to ask the MTA to serve as a project sponsor and system operator. The MTA, not wanting to use its own funding, would have to enter the project into the FTA New Starts program. MTA, NYC DOT, Port Authority of NY and NJ, NJ Transit and Amtrak are all attempting to qualify many other projects for the same federal New Starts program.

Completion of a planning study is just the first step of any potential capital transportation project improvement. The journey for a project of this scope can easily take 10 to 20 years before becoming a reality. Given the increasing uncertainties of project financing and growing costs for utility, sewer lines and water main relocation, a new limited stop bus route along this corridor would make more sense. Reducing head ways and adding equipment to the Brooklyn/Queens Crosstown NYC Transit subway G line which runs in close proximity along the same corridor could quickly be implemented. All this would take is reallocation of several dozen subway cars out of a 6,000 plus fleet. Without a billion or more from Washington, don’t count on riding the Brooklyn Queens Connector in your life time. Instead, try running simple limited stop bus service on the same route. The ongoing MTA NYC Transit Queens Bus Network Redesign Draft Plan proposes creation of the new QT 1 bus route. It would cross the Pulaski Bridge to connect Astoria, Long Island City, Greenpoint, Williamsburg, the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and downtown Brooklyn. This might make for a low cost easy to implement improvement rather than the $2.7 billion Brooklyn/Queens Street Car Connector.

(Larry Penner — transportation advocate, historian and writer who previously worked 31 years for the Federal Transit Administration Region 2 NY Office. This included the development, review, approval and oversight for grants supporting billions in capital projects and programs on behalf of the MTA NYC Transit bus and subway, NYC DOT Staten Island Ferry & private franchised bus operators along with 30 other transit agencies in NY & NJ)
.

Reply
fuelgrannie

good

the bqx is a waste of $3billion: why not instead expand mta bus service and re-extend the g line back thru queens?

this project was solely for developer jed walentas, who fancies the “romantic idea” of a little trolley car running along a path of all his developments, like two trees: it’s his dream, it’s not wanted by the community; it wouldn’t even take metrocards (like the ferry, the bqx would be an *extra* fare); it doesn’t fit community needs at all in brooklyn or queens, each public meeting had attendees screaming down the proposal.

Reply
LIC Direct

NYC is broke and won’t recover took 40 years for NYC to clean up its act under Guiliani and Bloomberg in six years DiBlasio destroyed all the gains of past administrations are lost It did not take COVID 19 to accomplish that, DiBlasio sank this city way before the corona virus. He flooded our streets with prisoners, pissed off all the money on useless senseless programs and made his friends rich who run the shelter system along the way. NYC is broke and you will see the collaspe of our city, raising property taxes, bad schools getting worse, high crime rates, homelessness galore, and and now Diblasio’s lovely hugely attractive wife wants to run for Brooklyn borough president.

2
3
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.