Nov. 8, 2017 by Nathaly Pesantez
A fundraiser has been set up for the 17-year-old who sustained serious injuries after the driver of a minivan ran over him several times on Halloween over an alleged egging incident.
The victim, Christopher Miraba, was allegedly struck by Keith Richard, a 50-year-old Long Island City resident, after he drove onto the sidewalk at 23rd Street and Jackson Avenue on Oct. 31 with the aim of intentionally hitting the teen and his group of friends who purportedly egged his car, according to the Queens District Attorney.
Miraba sustained several injuries, including multiple fractures to his skull, spine, pelvis, and right leg. He also had bruising to his lungs. Witnesses at the scene said that Richard ran over the 17-year-old three times, and said “That’s what happens,” when an eyewitness approached his car, the Queens DA said.
The GoFundMe fundraiser, created on Nov. 7, lists Miraba as a junior at Long Island City High School who played as the starting quarterback for the school’s varsity football team, the LIC Bulldogs. A Public School Athletic League (PSAL) profile confirms Miraba’s school and playing position.
“Chris suffered many broken bones and other injuries that will prevent him from playing football ever again,” wrote Joe Houghton, who is listed as the team’s head coach on the PSAL site. “It will be a long and tough road ahead for Chris just to be able to walk again.”
Houghton also wrote about Miraba’s mother and siblings, who were left without a father after he passed away due to cancer recently. Miraba has two younger brothers, and an older brother in the military.
“Laying in is [sic] hospital bed, the only thing Chris was worried about is his mom, his family, and his friends,” Houghton added.
Miraba’s family and friends say that he was an innocent bystander, and that he didn’t throw eggs at the car, according to the Daily News.
So far, $4,156 has been raised as of Wednesday afternoon for Miraba, with a goal set for $10,000. The fundraising page has been shared over 280 times on Facebook.
Miraba and Houghton did not immediately respond to messages about the fundraiser and incident.
Richard was charged with second-degree attempted murder, first degree assault, and leaving the scene of an incident. He faces up to 25 years in prison is convicted.