You are reading

Five Staff Members at Trader Joe’s Rego Park Store Test Positive for COVID-19

The Trader Joe’s store at 90-30 Metropolitan Ave. last month (Photo: Queens Post)

April 21, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Trader Joe’s has confirmed that five of its staff at the Rego Park store have tested positive for COVID-19 – just weeks after a worker there raised concerns that the company was not doing enough to keep its staff and customers safe in the face of the pandemic.

The same worker, who is a crewmember at the 90-30 Metropolitan Ave. store and didn’t want his name disclosed for publication, shared an April 15 company email with the Queens Post last week that was sent to staff with information about the positive cases.

The contents of the e-mail were confirmed by Trader Joe’s yesterday.

The email, written by the grocery store’s manager, revealed that four members at the store had tested positive for COVID-19 and that they were all out on a leave of absence at the time. The manager wrote that they had not worked for at least three weeks and none of them have been in the store since. The email does not mention the dates they tested positive for COVID-19.

The email then states that on Sunday, April 12, a fifth crew member tested positive for coronavirus. The female staff member had not been in the store since April 1, the email reads.

The whistleblower was upset that the company did not promptly tell staff when the store was notified about all of the positive test results. Many were fearful that the infected employees may have spread the virus.

“It wasn’t clear when any of these other four people contracted the virus,” he said.

Kenya Friend-Daniel, a Trader Joe’s spokesperson, corroborated that five employees at the store had tested positive. However, she said that none of the other staff at the store were put at risk.

Daniel said that the employees who tested positive had been out for more than a week when they informed the store that they had tested positive. Additionally, none of them started showing symptoms prior to taking leave.

Friend-Daniel said the company has been taking a number of safety measures to protect staff and customers from the virus– including closing stores for cleanings.

For instance, Trader Joe’s closed its Rego Park on April 5 for the day and hired an outside group to clean the store as a precautionary measure. The store was not required to clean the store to adhere to CDC guidelines– since none of the employees who tested positive had worked there within seven days of their diagnosis.

Friend-Daniel also noted that the company conducts a thorough cleaning of the store before its opens and after it closes each day to reduce the risk of COVID-19. She said that there are designated employees assigned to the task.

On March 21 the whistleblower contacted the Queens Post alleging that the store had not provided staff with enough gloves or hand sanitizer to protect them from the coronavirus. He also alleged that social distancing procedures were being disregarded and that employees were not wearing masks.

The company pushed back against the charges at the time and said that it was concerned about all of its staff and customers safety and questioned the claims.

However, the employee claims that the article’s release triggered Trader Joe’s into action and the store began slowly handing out extra gloves, hand sanitizer and masks to employees over the following two weeks. He said that the company also began assigning staff to extra cleaning and enhanced sanitation of high traffic spots like cash registers and check-out areas.

The employee said that the store has also implemented wellness checks prior to workers beginning their shifts. Staff are now being asked if they are feeling unwell, if they feel they have any COVID-19 symptoms or if they have come in contact with anyone who may have tested positive for the virus, he said.

The worker expressed his appreciation that the company has been implementing new policies and cleaning procedures but is confused over the delay in communicating the positive results with staff and the timing of store closures for cleanings.

Last week the store announced that it was temporarily shutting a string of city stores to carry out COVID-19 cleaning and sanitization work including the Rego Park which is due to close on April 23 and will re-open on April 24.

The closings follow several reports that employees at various Trader Joe’s stores in the city have contracted the virus.

Just days after the Rego Park employee spoke to the Queens Post, the Union Square location was temporarily closed after a worker at the shop was confirmed to have the virus and the company also shut its Spring Street store in SoHo temporarily after several staff there tested positive for the virus, according to the New York Post.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.