Aug. 4, 2015 By Jackie Strawbridge
Citi Bike’s expansion into Queens kicks off tomorrow, as the Department of Transportation cuts the ribbon on the first Long Island City station.
Located at Center Boulevard between Borden Avenue and 54th Avenue, this station is one of 12 slated for Long Island City as part of Citi Bike’s expansion into the Borough and other neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
In all, the bike share program will double from 6,000 to 12,000 bikes over the course of two years.
According to an online Citi Bike location map, bike stations will be placed at the following locations:
- Center Boulevard and Borden Avenue (to be launched tomorrow)
- Vernon Boulevard and 50th Avenue
- 48th Avenue and Vernon Boulevard
- 46th Avenue and 5th Street
- Jackson Avenue and 46th Road
- 45th Road and 11th Street
- 44th Drive and Jackson Avenue
- 9th Street and 44th Road
- 21st Street and 43rd Avenue
- Queens Plaza North and Crescent Street
- 21st Street and Queens Plaza North
- 31st Street and Thomson Avenue
All of these stations are slated to be installed this year.
An additional expansion phase, which will include stations in Astoria, is expected to be completed by the end of 2017.