You are reading

DOT Seeks Feedback on 21st Street Corridor, Aims to Improve Bus Service And Safety

Q103 bus on 21st Street (Photo DOT)

April 26, 2021 By Christina Santucci

The city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking community input about bus routes – as well as pedestrian and bike safety – on 21st Street in western Queens, as part of a study of the corridor.

The agency has established a community advisory board to solicit feedback and has set up a website where members of the public can comment.

The goal of the review – called the 21st Street Bus Priority and Safety Study – is to create a stakeholder-supported plan to improve bus speeds between Hoyt Avenue North and Queens Plaza North and to make the busy roadway safer for all those who travel on it.

Study Area (DOT)

Five bus routes are located on the section of 21st Street being studied – three south of 35th Avenue and two north of 35th Avenue.

The DOT has asked members of the public to submit comments about issues – such as crowded bus stops, aggressive drivers and double parking – via an interactive map. As of Sunday, 81 comments had been submitted, including 18 about a lack of crosswalks along the busy thoroughfare.

Meanwhile, the advisory board is composed of a variety of organizations and individuals – including neighborhood and transportation groups, elected officials, NYCHA buildings, representatives from city agencies, and area schools and youth organizations.

The DOT said local elected officials helped choose Community Advisory Board (CAB) members, and that the MTA was also on the board. The CAB is slated to hold its second meeting Thursday.

Richard Khuzami, president of the Old Astoria Neighborhood Association (OANA), said his community group has been gathering comments about 21st Street to bring to the CAB next meeting. OANA is a member of the advisory board.

“We have gotten a good amount of feedback already. We do the best we can to represent what the community wants,” he said.

So far, opinions have varied about what changes – if any – are needed on the corridor, Khuzami said.

A spokesperson for the DOT said the agency plans to use all of the feedback to develop several potential designs for the roadway, which would then be shared with the advisory board and members of the public. Dedicated bus lanes are among many potential options under consideration.

Agency officials said last week that they are in the initial stages of outreach and data collection, and expect to complete the study later this year.

The 21st Street corridor is among several Queens roadways included in the city’s Better Buses Action Plan – aimed at improving bus speeds citywide by 25 percent and reversing downward bus ridership trends.

Previously, the roadway was identified as one of 21 primary bus priority corridors by the DOT and the MTA through the Queens Network Redesign Draft Plan, and 21st Street was also designated as a Vision Zero corridor in 2019 because of an increase in pedestrians killed or seriously injured.

The DOT wrote that it launched the study “in light of 21st Street’s importance as a transit street and the evident need for safety improvements on the corridor.”

Additional information about the 21st Street study can also be found in a PDF presentation published by the DOT.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.