You are reading

DOL: Filing for Unemployment Has Been Streamlined, Tech Upgrades Made

The DOL has upgraded its online and call center technology systems(Photo by John Schnobrich on Unsplash)

April 13, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The New York Department of Labor has upgraded its online and call center technology systems that will increase the agency’s capacity to process unemployment benefit applications.

The new system, dubbed “Tech Surge,” was rolled out Friday — in partnership with Google Cloud, Deloitte, and Verizon — and will help speed up getting cash to people who have been laid-off as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a statement released Thursday.

Up until last week, many people who filed for unemployment were unable to complete the process online–and were required to call in to verify information pertaining to their claim. However, the agency’s phone system failed to keep up with the surge in new applicants and many people missed out on getting badly needed funds.

The new streamlined website – which has increased the number of servers that support its online filing system from four to over 60 — will fully process most applications online and relieve some of the backlog on the agency’s phones systems.

The department has urged applicants to first use the new online system in order to reduce the number of people who must speak to a claims specialist over the phone. Further, people who are unable to complete the process online are no longer required to call the agency to finish their application. Instead, the department said it will call those applicants and are advising them that the incoming caller ID may be listed as, “private number.”

Labor Commissioner Department Roberta Reardon said the agency recognizes that this is a challenging time for all New Yorkers and that the agency is responding as quickly as possible.

“I have been unemployed. I understand the urgency,” she said.

“We know that your livelihood depends on it and we assure you that you will get your benefits,” she added.

Applicants who are entitled to benefits will receive them, even if there filing date is delayed, the statement read.

The call center’s opening hours have been extended to seven days per week and the number of staff has already been bumped up to 1,000 from 400 with plans in place to add a further 200, the agency said.

More than 16 million Americans have now lost their jobs in the last three weeks, according to the latest Labor Department figures released Thursday. Just over 345,000 New Yorkers filed new claims last week ending April 4.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.