You are reading

DA: Woodside Deacon Arrested For Attempting to Have Sex With Child

Deacon Rogelio Vega (Saint Sebastian Roman Catholic Church)

Jan. 22, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A Catholic deacon from Maspeth was caught trying to engage a 14-year-old boy in a sex act through an undercover sting Tuesday.

Rogelio Vega — who serves as a deacon at Saint Sebastian Church in Woodside — allegedly conversed with an undercover detective posing as a 14-year-old boy for months on the dating app Grindr before luring him to meet in person.

Vega, 50, began talking to the undercover officer — who told the deacon he was just 14 — on Grindr on July 22, 2020.

He used sexually-explicit language in their chats and sent the “teen” photos of his genitals on three separate occasions. He also asked the “teenage boy” to send him nude photos of himself and meet up with him in person for oral sex, according to the charges.

On Jan. 19, 2021, Vega again asked the “teen” to meet in person. He drove to a pre-arranged place with the expectation of oral sex, the charges state. When he flashed his car headlights, the “boy” got into the car and Vega asked him what sexual acts he enjoyed. The undercover officer then identified himself and arrested the deacon.

Vega, of 59th Drive, was arraigned at Queens Criminal Court Wednesday night on charges of attempted use of a child in a sexual performance, attempted criminal sexual act, attempted disseminating indecent material to a minor and attempted endangering the welfare of a child.

He is set to return to court on Jan. 25. If convicted, he faces up to seven years in prison.

Vega has worked as a deacon at Saint Sebastian Roman Catholic Church in Woodside since 2015, according to the church website.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn — which oversees Saint Sebastian Church — said it was disturbed by the charges.

“We are horrified by the arrest and charges against Rogelio Vega,” a spokesperson for the diocese said. “The Diocese of Brooklyn is committed to a Zero Tolerance Policy, as nothing is more important than the protection of children. Rogelio Vega has been immediately suspended.”

The spokesperson added that there has never been any complaints against Vega since he was ordained in May 2011.

Vega has a wife, four children and a grandson, according to his staff bio on the church site.

“This defendant by all outward appearances is a church-going family man,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said. “Sadly, the real person under the sheep’s clothing is an alleged sexual predator who sought out a teenage boy to fulfill his needs.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

MTA opens three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza subway station in Long Island City

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced the opening of three new modernized elevators at the Queens Plaza E/M/R subway station in Long Island City earlier this month as part of a larger accessibility and safety upgrades throughout the transit system.

The work included a full replacement of the cab and equipment within the cab, shaft and pit, along with two new elevator head houses located at street level. Crews also made modifications to the shaft and pit as needed to allow for new equipment. The elevator machine room and electrical and mechanical equipment received replacements and other modernization efforts for reliability.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.