You are reading

Phase II of Hunters Point South will be 1,200 units, 800 affordable

Phase II

Phase II

Dec. 5, 2013 By Christian Murray

Two residential towers are going to be constructed as part of phase II of the Hunters Point South development.

TF Cornerstone and Selfhelp will be the development team and they will construct 1,193 apartments—of which about 800 will be affordable and the remainder market rate, according to the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development

TF Cornerstone was one of the three finalists vying for the project, said Kate Gilmore, a housing fellow at HPD, last month. Gilmore, at the time, said that HPD was interested in the TF Cornerstone’s proposal since it provided affordable housing for seniors.

Out of the nearly 800-odd affordable units, 100 will be reserved for low-income seniors, leaving roughly 700 for middle-income residents, making anywhere from 105% to 155% of median income in the area. Those income brackets translate into a family of four making between $111,670 and $141,735 annually.

“We are excited to be working with TF Cornerstone and Selfhelp to build this next phase of the largest affordable housing development undertaken since the 1970s,” said HPD Commissioner RuthAnne Visnauskas in a statement.From our most vulnerable populations to those in our middle-class, the challenges of finding an affordable home and the cost of living with rent burden are experiences that many New Yorkers share.”

Out of the 1,193 units, there will be 80 3-bedroom apartments.

State Sen. Mike Gianaris said that he pushed hard to get the developer to increase the number of 3 brm units following feedback from the Long Island City community.

“The community has been telling us that they need more 3 bedroom apartments, since young families often find their one or two bedroom apartments too small when they have children,” Gianaris said. “Many end up moving.”

He said that the initial proposal called for 66 3-bedroom units, which he helped increase to 80.

Phase II is part of the overall Hunter’s Point South development, which will eventually contain 5,000 units, with a minimum of 60% of them reserved for affordable housing, according to the city.

The first phase of the project is already 33% complete, which is comprised of two towers containing a total of 925 affordable units .  The developer, the Related Companies, will be soliciting applications for these affordable units some time during the first-quarter of 2014.

email the author: [email protected]

6 Comments

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

I am all for middle-income housing.

My only challenge is why aren’t the income levels reviewed (maybe every 5 years or so), so if your family is making a lot more money, say you change professions, why should you still get subsidized housing?

Reply
Ro

Hopefully they honer their promise and stay within this income range so that it is housing for the middle class. These income thresholds are easily met by a family with two working adults.

Reply
Anonymous

Either way, you’re too poor to be rich and too rich to be poor or qualify for this affordable housing.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.