You are reading

Court Square Civic Association to discuss BQX, ferry and transportation issues next week

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 5.05.15 PM

Nov. 10, 2016 By Hannah Wulkan

Residents of Court Square will have the opportunity to voice concerns over transportation issues in the area next week.

The Court Square Civic Association is holding a meeting focusing on transportation problems and initiatives in the neighborhood next Thursday, bringing in several representatives from City departments to help answer questions and brainstorm solutions.

The meeting, which will be held at 7 p.m. November 17 at MoMA PS1, will focus on several main issues.

It will begin by addressing the fact that the Court Square neighborhood is the biggest transportation hub in the area, with the 7, G, E and M trains all running through the Court Square Station, as well as the E, M and R trains at Queens Plaza and the N and W trains at Queensboro Plaza.

“We wanted to focus on the future of transportation in Court Square,” said CSCA founder Amadeo Plaza. “People have expressed concerns about what it will look like in the future once the area is all built up, once the L train goes down for 18 months, and neighborhoods in the surrounding areas explode in popularity as well which are growing in prominence, then what does that mean for the largest transport hub in the area?”

The group will also spend time on the proposed routes for the Brooklyn Queens Connector streetcar and the added Citywide Ferry dock in Hunters Point. Representatives from the Economic Development Corporation will be on hand to speak on the BQX proposal and the new ferry dock.

Plaza said that people are desperate to know what the BQX routes will be and how the proposal would reshape the neighborhood and affect their homes.

He added that in examining the proposals himself, the route that seemed to make the most sense was going down 21st Street, as it was wide enough and far enough away from the N/W line to make sense.

The final area the meeting will focus on is the street redesign in Hunters Point, which is being undertaken by the Department of Transportation.

“The streets were designed for industrial use, but that’s not what the neighborhood is anymore,” Plaza said. “We want to make sure this redesign makes sense for the community.”

Plaza added that the primary point person for the redesign, Samantha Dolgoff from the DOT, would be on hand to discuss any questions or issues regarding the project.

Many of the discussions at the meeting will build on the first CSCA meeting held early last month, though it focused on development throughout the area.

At the meeting, Van Bramer noted that a new subway system was out of the question, but said that the added ferry service and Citibike installation could help relieve some pressure on the system in a small way. He added that a select bus service might make sense.

Plaza noted that the ferry docks are still about a mile from most Court Square residents, and said he plans to ask if a shuttle bus service to the ferry could help encourage use.

Penny Lee from the Department of City Planning will also be on hand to address more general questions and help add perspective, Plaza said.

The meeting will be in a town hall format, with lots of questions and answers and discussion, Plaza said, though he asked that all questions be submitted ahead of time to [email protected] so he can ensure fully researched answers.

email the author: [email protected]

5 Comments

Click for Comments 
MRLIC

Continued…this way G riders won’t have to get off at Court Sq. to change for the E-M trains. This makes sense so the MTA and NYC won’t do it. Select bus service wont work either. What route will it be? How will they curb bus bunching and improve evening service which is spotty at best. Why can’t they put a subway somewhere? $$$$$$$$$The trolley is a developer idea to improve property values.

Reply
Frank

The issue is track capacity on the G line past Court Square….if the G is extended, one of the other local Queens Blvd lines will need to be curtailed. If this weren’t an issue, it would make sense to run the G further, but it isn’t going to happen.

Reply
MRLIC

Pedro you have legitimate concerns. Van Bramer’s citibike and select bus garbage will not be enough. Add more cars to the G line and let it run through to 71st Continental Ave. as it used to.

Reply
Pedro Valdez Rivera Jr.

Some realistic concerns about the BQX: 1) I am worrying about the future ridership not meeting ridership projections; 2) I am worrying about the rising operating costs that are paid my us taxpayers; 3) The overhead wires are a thing in the pase because of safety concerns; 4) Some of the route is on a flood plain, proning to future sea level rises in decades to come; 5) Increased traffic congestion; 6) Loss of parking spaces; 7) Rapid commerical and residential revelopment at market rates. As for the CFS: Same reasons from 1), 2) and 7).

Reply
brooklynmc

For the people who actually live here, loss parking is not a bad thing. I think Manhattan should be closed to all unnecessary vehicular traffic. I have commuted from Connecticut, Queens and Brooklyn to Manhattan for 20 years and never once by car. Not a single time. Why? Mass transit is easier and makes more sense. Cars make life for city residents much louder, dirtier and more dangerous. Please ban cars. It is inevitable. Many European cities have already banned cars in city centers. Brussels, Copenhagen, Oslo, Madrid, Florence, Chengdu, Hamburg, London and Paris are taxing cars and building bike lanes. This is the future for cities.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.