March 31, 2015 By Christian Murray
The police arrested a Queensbridge man last month who is allegedly responsible for nine break-ins at several well-known restaurants and stores throughout Long Island City and Astoria.
Shameek Dunbar, 40, the alleged perpetrator, faces burglary charges after breaking into popular restaurants and eateries such as Petey’s Burger, Madera, the Breadbox, Barista, Andres Pizza, Tequila Sunrise and Pachanga Patterson.
According to the criminal complaints, Dunbar typically broke into these establishments overnight by smashing through the glass by the front door. He then proceeded to the cash register and pried it open with a screwdriver. He then took between $20 and $1000.
The criminal complaints allege that Dunbar admitted to doing these burglaries and there was video footage of many of the incidents.
The typical case was what occurred at Petey’s Burger, located at 46-46 Vernon Blvd. According to the complaint, Dunbar broke into the restaurant between 10 pm, Jan. 31, and 3:17 am March 1 by smashing a window. He then pried open the register and took cash.
The police said that Dunbar admitted to the incident. There is also video footage of the incident.
Dunbar faces multiple counts of burglary, criminal mischief, petit larceny and grand larceny. His next court date is April 9. He is presently incarcerated on Rikers Island.
The following is a summation of the complaints provide by the Queens District Attorney’s Office:
1) Between June 10, 2014, at 9 p.m. and June 11 at 9:30 a.m., Dunbar allegedly broke into Andres Pizza, located at 25-19 40th Ave. through a glass door. He was observed through surveillance footage cutting wires on a cash register, worth about $450. The store owner alleges that $20 was taken from the register.
2) On Oct. 24, 2014, Dunbar broke into Tequila Sunrise, located at 40-01 Northern Blvd., through a side window. The owner said that $350 was taken from the cash register.
3) Between Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 9 at 3:12 a.m., the suspect entered Barista at 11-11 44th Rd. through a front glass door. Surveillance footage shows Dunbar throwing a rock at the door. He later took money.
4) On Jan. 2 between 3:04 and 4:18 a.m. Dunbar entered Hu Department Store located at 47-09 Northern Blvd. through the front door. Although the store owner alleged $1,000 was missing from the register, Dunbar said he tried to open the register but couldn’t and then left.
5) Between Jan. 18 at 11 p.m. and Jan. 19 at 4 a.m. Dunbar entered a business at 47-29 Vernon Blvd. (Madera) through a window and surveillance shows him trying to pry open a register.
6) On Jan. 24 between 3:35 a.m. and 4:05 a.m. Dunbar broke into Pachanga Patterson located at 33-17 31st Ave. The store owner alleges $200 was missing from a cash register.
7) Between Jan. 31 at 10 p.m. and Feb. 1 at 3:17 a.m. the suspect broke into Petey’s Burger at 46-46 Vernon Blvd. through a side window. Surveillance footage shows him prying open a register and taking money.
8) Between Feb. 12 at 8:30 a.m. and Feb. 13 at 11:45 a.m., the suspect entered Breadbox Café at 47-11 11th St. through a door. He then used a screwdriver to pry open a register and took $300.
9) Between Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. and Feb. 22 at 3:45 a.m. the suspect entered Mix Nail Salon at 44-68 21st St. through the glass front door. Surveillance video shows the suspect entering the location, prying open a register and taking money.
Previous Coverage: Man breaks into Petey’s, takes $1,000 cash
Love the racism and homophobia exhibited here – fondly reminds me of the old Daily News letter writers!
Are you reading the same comments? Most of it is complaints about the Queensbridge projects. The police should be more active looking at people from there, regardless of race, because a large cluster of poor people on government assistance are shockingly enough more likely to cause crime in neighboring areas. Who would have ever thought? And hoping the guy ends up in Rikers for some manly loving from his cellmate is quite the opposite of homophobia. Bottom line – the guy was a scumbag criminal who absolutely deserves the bad things coming to him for commiting crimes.
Show a picture of this scum bag
I guess he is going to reimburse the restaurants for the damage he caused plus the mony he stole. Oh, that would end up coming from the tax payers.
Send the guy to Rikers and let him have a few intimate nights with his cell mate.
So this isn’t the same guy that broke into Manducatis Rustica,Woodbines and LIC Bar last summer??
Gotta love Queensbridge Housing!
Stop&Frisk & keep Queensbridge out. Of course they will get all money from JVBs participatory budgeting as they’re already taking it anyway