You are reading

Construction remains on hold where crane collapsed

cranes

Jan. 28, 2013 By Bill Parry

Construction has yet to resume at the TF Cornerstone site where a crane collapsed earlier this month.

The crane tumbled into a heap at the 46th and Center Boulevard location (near the Pepsi sign) at about 2:20 p.m. on Jan. 9.  Seven workers were injured, none critically.

“TFC is now waiting for DOB [Buildings Department] to rescind the Stop Work Order so that work can continue at the site,” said a source very close to the matter.

However, in the interim, the Buildings Department has allowed cranes back onto the site. Those cranes have not been involved in construction.

“The Department of Buildings allowed TF Cornerstone to mobilize two hydraulic cranes for use in the disassembly and removal of the damaged crane, formwork and boilers,” sources said.

The Department of Buildings continues to investigate the initial incident. In its preliminary report, the DOB stated that “The operator was attempting to lift a load of 29,900 pounds — more than double the weight capacity for this particular crane.” The report added that the operator was also unable to see the materials being lifted.

New York Crane owns the rig that collapsed, as well as the two hydraulic cranes that are currently on site. A spokesman for the Maspeth-based company confirmed this information and said: “The two cranes that are there now are late model cranes.”

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Maspeth man faces life in prison for 2020 fatal stabbing in Dutch Kills: DA

A Maspeth man who was caught by transit cops vaping inside a Brooklyn subway station in January is facing as much as 75 years to life in prison for stabbing a Dutch Kills man to death four years ago.

Luis Hernandez, 36, of 56th Street, was arraigned Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court on a seven-count indictment charging him with murder, gang assault and other crimes in the fatal stabbing of a 21-year-old man and the attempted murder of two others in Astoria in 2020.