You are reading

Community Compost Sites Back Up and Running in Queens

Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia shovels compost with Council Members Jimmy Van Bramer and Peter Koo at the Queensbridge Composting site (DSNY via Twitter)

Sept. 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Community compost and food scraps drop-off sites are back up and running in Queens after the sites were shuttered for months due to pandemic-related budget cuts.

The sites were reopened after the city’s executive budget restored $2.8 million to community composting for Fiscal Year 2021 last minute, the Department of Sanitation (DSNY) said earlier this month.

The funding allowed the Department to restart all of the NYC Compost Project mid-scale compost educational facilities, provide support to small compost sites and reopen some food scrap drop-off sites throughout the five boroughs.

Local Queens officials celebrated the reopening of the Queensbridge community composting site on Tuesday.

Council Members Peter Koo, Jimmy Van Bramer and Antonio Reynoso joined Acting Queens Borough President Sharon Lee and Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia in welcoming back the composting site.

“We are thrilled that funding was restored in the adopted budget to support our partners and to offer community-based solutions to our waste crisis,” Garcia said. “It’s been a tough year all around, but this restoration of funding has given us hope that our partners will be able to continue to do their crucial work in the long term.”

The compost educational facilities process food scraps and yard waste from drop offs and provide finished compost to community gardens. The facilities also offer tours and volunteer opportunities.

Open drop-off sites can be found on the DSNY website.

The department’s brown bin curbside composting program, however, remains suspended. The curbside collection of food scraps and yard waste is expected to remain shuttered through June 30, 2021.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
gil

you forgot to mention that the Parks Dept (which owns the land) is refusing to renew the license. So this facility will be closed on Dec. 31. Parks plans on storing vehicles and equipment here in 2021. I hope you cover that story as well, seems like you would get the scoop since no other news outlets have mentioned this yet.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: felony assaults across the borough on the rise, burglaries down slightly in northern Queens

Feb. 21, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of felony assaults across Queens increased during the 28-day period from Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Tuesday. At the same time, the number of reported burglaries experienced a slight but noticeable drop in northern Queens.

Maspeth man faces life in prison for 2020 fatal stabbing in Dutch Kills: DA

A Maspeth man who was caught by transit cops vaping inside a Brooklyn subway station in January is facing as much as 75 years to life in prison for stabbing a Dutch Kills man to death four years ago.

Luis Hernandez, 36, of 56th Street, was arraigned Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court on a seven-count indictment charging him with murder, gang assault and other crimes in the fatal stabbing of a 21-year-old man and the attempted murder of two others in Astoria in 2020.