You are reading

City to Move More than 60 Women Out of Long Island City Hotel, Used as Temporary Shelter

LIC Plaza Hotel, located at 40-40 27th St. (Google Maps)

Sept. 11, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The city will move dozens of homeless New Yorkers out of a Long Island City hotel where they have been staying during the pandemic.

The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) will move the roughly 60 to 70 women experiencing homelessness out of the LIC Plaza Hotel, at 40-40 27th St., and into a shelter beginning this weekend.

The agency had moved the women out of congregate homeless shelters — where several people sleep in one room — and into the hotel at the start of the pandemic.

The women are among thousands of homeless New Yorkers that DHS moved out of the dormitory-style shelters and into 60 commercial hotels throughout the city in an effort to control of the spread of the coronavirus at the shelters.

The women will be moved into non-congregate shelters, where individuals have their own rooms instead of sharing a dormitory-style room, a DHS spokesperson said. The locations have not been disclosed.

“Our priority is being able to preserve social distancing for all clients and continue to implement the protections from COVID that have helped us prevent the spread of the virus and flatten our pandemic curve over the past nearly six months,” DHS spokesperson Isaac McGinn said.

In addition to the women currently housed at the LIC Plaza Hotel, DHS will move 300 homeless men from an Upper West Side hotel called the Lucerne, the New York Times reported.

The housing of homeless individuals at the hotel in the wealthy Manhattan neighborhood caused an uproar from neighbors — some of whom threatened a lawsuit against the city for it.

Mayor Bill de Blasio visited the Upper West Side hotel himself and subsequently requested DHS move the men out of the hotel.

“I went and saw for myself the Upper West Side last week, and what I saw was not acceptable and had to be addressed because the idea is to always try and balance the need to serve homeless folks with the need for a community to continue to go about its life,” he said at a press briefing.

De Blasio also said he heard complaints about the homeless at the LIC Plaza Hotel from residents of the nearby Queensbridge Houses when he visited Long Island City in recent months.

However, the mayor and DHS maintained that the use of hotels was always a temporary means to combat COVID.

De Blasio said it was time to reevaluate the use of hotels now that the height of the pandemic has passed and people could be moved back into traditional shelters.

“It was time to ask a question, could we safely go back? It turns out there is substantial capacity in our shelter system allowing us to do this safely,” he said Wednesday.

DHS determined that it had sufficient shelter capacity to move some individuals out of hotels, according to the spokesperson.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Melissa

Yes THESE HOMELESS PPL MADE IT SO HARD! ME AND MY DAUGHTERS WERE STAYING IN LONG ISLAND CITY AT A HOTEL PAYING FULL PRICE EVERY NIGHT AND WE HAD TO LEAVE. SO THEY CAN PUT MEN IN THE FREAKING. HOTEL. ! WHAT A DAM. SHAME!!!!

18769
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.