You are reading

City Proposes Long-Term Shelter at Former Verve Hotel

Verve

Verve

April 18, 2016 By Jackie Strawbridge

The City is looking to keep a local women’s shelter that was installed on an emergency basis last year in place until at least 2020.

A four-year, $39 million contract is proposed between the Department of Homeless Services and the Acacia Network, the shelter provider of Pam’s Place, located in the former Verve Hotel at 40-03 29th St.

This shelter was quietly opened in October on a six-month emergency basis. Other shelters, such as the Westway Shelter at 71-11 Astoria Blvd, were opened on an emergency basis only to become permanent.

The City is now moving to keep Pam’s Place long-term.

Assembly Member Cathy Nolan spoke against the terms of this contract in a statement.

She said that the contract should be no longer than one year due to “mismanagement” by the Acacia Network, “clearly showing an inability to handle the 200 residents.”

There has been some violence at the shelter since it was installed in October. The 114 Precinct approached Community Board 1 in February regarding two outbursts, and shelter security has since been increased.

Although Nolan acknowledged the extra security and “good efforts” from Acacia to respond to “overt problems,” she added, “I do not have confidence that this provider should be given such a long contract term.”

The Acacia Network did not respond to requests for comment.

Nolan also took issue with the contracting process for this shelter, which has become a recurring theme for the installation of homeless shelters in western Queens.

She said she was provided insufficient notification and shelter information ahead of an April 14 public hearing on the Pam’s Place contract.

“This lack of openness alone should delay the approval of this contract,” she said.

CB 1 District Manager Florence Koulouris said she would defer to Nolan’s judgment regarding the terms of the contract, but noted that in general, the emergency shelter process is “frustrating” and has left people “disenchanted.”

The contract has not yet reached the City Comptroller’s desk for final registration, according to that office.

The DHS did not respond to questions and requests for comment as of press time.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
Maria Hernández

This place need to be shut down the workers and DHS police officers have no respect for the clients they treat any way most of the workers are sleeping with clients they have no security guards on the floors even if a fight breaks out the security officer don’t care they be on there phone police officer be taking the guards on the six floor to sleep with this place really need to shut down

Reply
Dana

Does the Acacia Network, the Verve’s owner, own other “hotels?”
If the city built their own shelters, as they once (preBloomberg) owned buildings to shelter youth, there would not be a racket in cheaply built, single room “housing.”
Often inappropriately sited in industrial areas, these instant slums hotels break any housing restrictions for areas meant for manufacturing. This loophole is making a few rich, and many citizens disgusted.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.