Applications for Hunters Point South to go out next month, as Community Board 2 gets ready to help applicants

Rendering of completion

Rendering of completion

Sept. 5, By Christian Murray

The application period for the affordable rental units at Hunters Point South is expected to begin next month and Community Board 2 leaders are in the process of setting up a number of local meetings to guide residents through the application process.

The applicants will be aiming to snag one of the 925 affordable apartments that are expected to be completed early next year.

Community Board 2 residents—who currently live in Sunnyside, Woodside and Long Island City—will be given priority over outside applicants on 50 percent of the units.

The income requirements are broad and tailored more toward middle income earners. For example, units have been set aside for families who make up to $191,000, based on numbers released last year by the Bloomberg administration.

The developer, Related Companies, is expected to send out marketing materials early next month, which will announce the lottery as well as the application deadline.

Once the marketing campaign begins, applicants will have a 60 day window to submit their applications through the NYC Housing Connect website. (click website)

“If the marketing period begins Oct. 1, then applicants have a 60 day window to apply from that date,” said Lisa Deller, the chairwoman of Community Board 2’s Land Use committee.

Community Board 2 Chairman Joe Conley, who helped negotiate the 50% priority for local residents with Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer, wants to make sure that Sunnyside, Woodside and Long Island City residents take advantage of their increased odds. This has been a contributing factor in why the meetings are being held.

A series of meetings have been tentatively scheduled throughout the district. For instance, a meeting has been scheduled in Sunnyside at the Sunnyside Community Services Center (43-31 39th Street) on Sept 29 at 7:00 pm.

Meanwhile, another meeting is scheduled to take place at the Woodside Library, 54-22 Skillman Avenue, on Oct. 1 (time still to be determined); and in Long Island City on Oct. 6 (time and venue yet to be confirmed).

The meetings aim to educate residents on how to apply; what the eligibility requirements are and how the housing lottery works.

“This is a great opportunity for folks who live in our community that want to live on the waterfront,” said Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer. “I’m proud of the role we have played with the community board in getting the set asides for local residents.”

“There is a lot of interest for this,” Van Bramer said. “We have been getting calls on it even before construction started.”

nass

Living this city for long time and working very hard since I am 18. This time I really need a affordable place to move. Tell me how!!

Ramona Ellis

Im waiting on my lottery process to go through i put my application in last year. Thank you God Bless

Linda

Hey my name is Linda I live in N.Y.C. for some time. I would love to reside at hunter point. I hope to be be picked from the lottery.

M. Hradek

Anyone know where you can obtain the application to apply? I have contacted various agencies and no one seems to know.

QUEEN

I WAS EXCITED TO HAVE BEEN SELECTED BY 60 WATER STREET IN BK. BUT I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN QUEENS FOR THE FIRST 25 YEARS OF MY LIFE. I WANT TO GO HOME. HOPEFULY I WILL BE SELCTED FOR THIS LOTTERY.

Brandon

I just hope the process is quick and not as painless as it is known to be. Wish everyone the best of luck!

chucho

hey Lady! I got news for you : Thousands of people wanna live there as well!!

But people who have live in the area for many years get first pick!

Good luck to everybody!

Linda Adamec

I am very interested in living in this new development. Although I live out of the area, I was born and raised in NYC and lived there for thirty years. My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter live in One Hunters Point and I know I could be helpful to them and many of their working friends.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.