You are reading

AOC and Schumer Launch Funeral Fund for Low-Income Families Who Lost a Loved One to Covid-19

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (Wikimedia commons)

Feb. 8, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer have announced that $260 million will be made available to cover funeral costs for low-income families who lost a loved one to COVID-19 last year.

On average, around $7,000 will be made available to the families of deceased New York coronavirus victims who could not afford to cover the costs associated with taking care of their remains, the lawmakers said at a joint press briefing in Corona Monday.

Payments will be available retroactively to the families of victims who died between Jan. 20, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2020–although Schumer said efforts are underway to ensure the program is in place for the remainder of the pandemic.

The legislators said the funds will be available via FEMA’s Disaster Funeral Assistance program — part of the agency’s $2 billion Disaster Relief Fund.

The congresswoman said many people of color– particularly those in low-income neighborhoods–have been hit hard by the virus and many have not had the means to pay for a family member’s funeral arrangements.

She said that thousands of people who were already stretched financially have had to find ways to pay for the death of a relative.

Ocasio-Cortez said that many of these people are undocumented immigrants. She said undocumented immigrants will be eligible to tap into the fund.

The congresswoman’s district includes the Elmhurst, Corona and Jackson Heights neighborhoods – which were once considered the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Many residents in the area have limited means and are new immigrants. Around 20 percent of Corona residents live below the poverty level, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The funds will cover casket costs, mortuary services, death certificates, and cremation or interment, the legislators said.

Schumer advised applicant families to work with the city, state and their funeral director to prepare the necessary paperwork.

Some of the documentation includes verifying the next of kin’s identity, his/her relationship to the deceased, a death certificate that lists the deceased’s death as related to COVID-19 and documentation of all costs associated with the family member’s funeral.

Schumer said that an online portal will be provided to submit documents and FEMA is setting up a call center where caseworkers will help residents with applications.

“The work now centers on making sure eligible families know this is happening and know how to access the funds—that’s why our next job is to get the word out,” Schumer said.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

LaGuardia Community College receives federal funding to expand vocational training for the unemployed

LaGuardia Community College recently received more than $400,000 in federal funding to enhance and expand vocational training for underemployed New Yorkers in a city that is still working to recover from COVID-19 pandemic-induced job loss. The support was secured by U.S. Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez and former Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney.

LaGuardia Community College President Kenneth Adams explained that the school lost nearly a quarter of its students at the height of the pandemic due to the economic effects of the lockdown on low-income Queens households.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.