You are reading

7 Train Service to be Down on Weekends and Weeknights in January, Part of February

via NYC Transit on Twitter

Dec. 24, 2018 By Christian Murray

The MTA will not be providing 7 train service between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Hudson Yards on most weeknights during January and February—as well as for four weekends in January, the agency announced Friday night.

The abrupt announcement comes after nearly a decade of service changes and other interruptions on the line due to a massive signal system upgrade that was completed last month.

The MTA said that it discovered that some of the track needs to be replaced while completing the new signal system. The track work requires chipping out existing concrete, the installation of a temporary track structure and the pouring of new concrete.

The MTA assures riders that the track is currently safe but needs to be repaired for future reliability.

“The 7 line is a critical transit artery in Queens and we are doing everything we can to improve its reliability and performance,” said NYC Transit President Any Byford in a statement. “This is work that could not have been completed while we were installing the new signal system and it is absolutely critical it be completed soon.”

The MTA said that it will operate shuttle buses from Queensboro Plaza to Vernon Blvd-Jackson Avenue and from Times Sq to 34th Hudson Yards during the closures. On weekends, W train service with operate between Ditmars Blvd and Whitehall St.

Riders have been complaining about hellish commutes in the past month, despite the completion of the new signal system. It prompted Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer to call on Byford to come to the neighborhood for a town hall and explain the poor service.

A town hall meeting has yet to be scheduled.

The following dates are when service between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Hudson Yards will be down.

Work will take place during the following weeknights from 11:45 PM to 5 AM:

January 2-4

January 7-11

January 14-18

January 21-25

January 28-February 1

February 4-8

Work will occur during the following weekends from 12:15 AM Saturday to 4:30 AM Monday:

January 5-7

January 12-14

January 19-21

January 26-28*

*During the weekend of January 26-28,  train service will be suspended between 74th St-Broadway and 34 St- Hudson Yards.

 

email the author: [email protected]

13 Comments

Click for Comments 
D.

Built a hundred years ago? Lack of capital investment for a skillion years? Plus, new employees have to learn the patches put in to enable a wood (!) and steel infrastructure to function. The closings are in the depths of night, mostly. Complain not. Perhaps one year….no service outages?

Reply
MRLIC

I knew a track worker for the MTA. He said to me in 1998 that” I can assure you the TRACK WORK will never end”. Was he right? Yes. I give A. Byford 6 months or less before he quits. It is a thankless job. Instead of Wi-Fi and Book trains and replacing Metro Cards.Do something useful and make sure the work that is being done gets done on time and finally finished.

3
2
Reply
Three Party Party

Until we the people become single issue voters and Democrats like Cuomo fear for their jobs, nobody will clean up the MTA unions and their lack of accountability.

5
3
Reply
Anonyman

To say I am sick of reading about 7 train closures would be an understatement. The inefficiencies and slack approach to construction work are endemic to how the MTA works. You are killing us, smalls.

Reply
Ray J

People complain when service is interrupted unexpectedly. People complain when service is interrupted with advance notice. People complain when investment in the system is made…. and when it isn’t. I think people like to complain. And a townhall meeting would be pointless.

6
6
Reply
Anonymous

People wouldn’t complain if we got a functional, efficient subway system worthy of the endless zillions of dollars and decades of work dedicated to it. Other global cities put our subway to shame, and they spend a fraction of the money and time we do.

Reply
RB

That’s great. Another kick in the teeth for Queens residents who provide an essential service, working in NYC’s entertainment and dining establishments during the weekends. More money we get to spend on taxis just to get home from work. THANKS MTA.

8
1
Reply
Byford are you listening?

Can we build a second set of tracks directly above the 7? At Queenborough the 7 and NWQ are stacked, two tracks going in and two going out. Don’t say weight is an issue when they are building 50 story apartment buildings everywhere along the line.

Reply
Unhappy Rider

When will this end?? I have lived in Hunter’s Point for over 20 years, and it seems as though these shutdowns have been going on for at least the last 15. I’m sick and tired of excuses, poor service and no service on many weekends. MTA, get your act together!!

Reply
David Wolberg

Every year in January and February the MTA shuts down the 7 train between Queens and Manhattam for so called ” necessary” repair work. This has been going on for over a decade. The work never gets completed. Yet another example of MTA incompetence.

12
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Gunman who fired shots at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria and PSA 9 are continuing their search for a gunman who allegedly opened fire at the Ravenswood Houses in Long Island City last month.

The incident occurred during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 18, when officers responded to a 911 call and a ShotSpotter activation for multiple shots fired at 21-25 35 Ave. at the Ravenswood Houses NYCHA complex just after 2 a.m., according to authorities.

Popular places where you can watch the Super Bowl in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Long Island City teen sentenced in fatal shooting of ‘beloved’ school teacher at Queensbridge Houses in 2020: DA

A Long Island City man on Friday, Jan. 28, was sentenced to 19 years in prison for the 2020 fatal shooting of a public school social studies teacher who was out walking his dog when he was caught in the crossfire during a confrontation between gang rivals in broad daylight, just blocks from his home, according to Queens District Attorney’s office.

Ike Ford, 19, of 12th Street, in Long Island City, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder. The teacher, George Rosa, 53, was shot in his abdomen by a stray bullet fired by Ford, who was just 17 years old at the time of the shooting but was sentenced as an adult given the severity of the crime, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.